Bihar Working on Nutrition Policy to Fight Malnourishment
With estimated 50 per cent of children in Bihar found underweight due to malnourishment, the state government is in the process of drafting a nutritional policy to cut down malnourishment rate to 20 per cent in another four year.
"The state social welfare department is working on nutritional policy, 2014 to bring down malnourishment figure to 20 per cent by 2018," Principal Secretary of Social Welfare Department Amarjeet Sinha told PTI.
Emphasis in the policy would be to fight problem of malnourishment through Manav Vikash Mission (human skill development mission), he said. The draft of the nutritional policy is ready and it would see light of the day soon, Sinha said.
The status report of ICDS (Integrated Child Development Scheme), 2013 found that about 2.3 crore children in the country up to 6 years of age are suffering from malnourishment and are under weight.
Bihar is the worst sufferer where 50 per cent of the children were found under weight. The same was 37 per cent in Andhra Pradesh, 36 per cent in Uttar Pradesh and 35 per cent in Delhi, the ICDS report said.
A Bihar government report in 2006 highlighted that 50 children out of 100 in Bihar are stunted. If a child is found stunted it means he or she is not gaining height since long. This is either because being unwell or not fed adequately since long.
A state government survey in 2010 found that 23 districts in Bihar had prevalence of malnourishment among children.
Kisanganj was the worst where 65 out of 100 children were found suffering from malnourishment.
- Amma's Niece Deepa Launches Political Forum
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Kim Jong-Nam Was Killed By Lethal VX Nerve Agent
- 5 Crore Indians Suffer From Depression
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- On Jayalalithaa's 69th Birth Anniversary, Niece Deepa Launches 'MGR AMMA Deepa Forum'
- Labourers In Haryana To Get Breakfast For Rs 5, Full Meal For Rs 10
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Man Sitting On Indefinite Hunger Strike Gets Married At The Protest Site
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events
- Female Intruder From Pakistan Shot Dead, Another Arrested By The BSF
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman