Bihar Working on Nutrition Policy to Fight Malnourishment
With estimated 50 per cent of children in Bihar found underweight due to malnourishment, the state government is in the process of drafting a nutritional policy to cut down malnourishment rate to 20 per cent in another four year.
"The state social welfare department is working on nutritional policy, 2014 to bring down malnourishment figure to 20 per cent by 2018," Principal Secretary of Social Welfare Department Amarjeet Sinha told PTI.
Emphasis in the policy would be to fight problem of malnourishment through Manav Vikash Mission (human skill development mission), he said. The draft of the nutritional policy is ready and it would see light of the day soon, Sinha said.
The status report of ICDS (Integrated Child Development Scheme), 2013 found that about 2.3 crore children in the country up to 6 years of age are suffering from malnourishment and are under weight.
Bihar is the worst sufferer where 50 per cent of the children were found under weight. The same was 37 per cent in Andhra Pradesh, 36 per cent in Uttar Pradesh and 35 per cent in Delhi, the ICDS report said.
A Bihar government report in 2006 highlighted that 50 children out of 100 in Bihar are stunted. If a child is found stunted it means he or she is not gaining height since long. This is either because being unwell or not fed adequately since long.
A state government survey in 2010 found that 23 districts in Bihar had prevalence of malnourishment among children.
Kisanganj was the worst where 65 out of 100 children were found suffering from malnourishment.
- Govt Plans to Further Liberalize Visa Regime to Boost Tourism: Swaraj
- Teesta Setalvad Liable for Mixing Religion With Politics: HRD Panel
- SP Appears on Brink of Split as CM Sacks Shivpal, Mulayam Expels Ramgopal
- Now, Adult Film Star Accuses Trump of Sexual Harassment
- BSF Jawan Gurnam Singh Injured in Pak Attack Succumbs to Injuries
- ADHM Row: Army Upset Over Being Dragged Into Film Politics, Rejects Forced Donation
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- This 'Chaiwala' From Pakistan First Broke The Internet; Now He Has A Modelling Contract
- Daily Curator: How To Burn A Hole In Your Food Pipe And Other Stories
- Kabaddi Player Rohit Kumar Sent to Judicial Custody in Wife's Suicide Case
- Not Just a Business Partner, But an Ally Who Stood By India in its Darkest Hours: Russia
- Two Explosions Hit Japanese City in Suspected Suicide Bombing, One Killed
- My Removal From Govt an Attempt to Weaken SP Leadership: Shivpal
- Reports Say Queen Elizabeth Faces Massive Post-Brexit Losses
- Rajnath Singh Leaves for Three-Day Visit to Bahrain, to Raise Pak Issue
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- BJP Wants To Make India a Hindu Rashtra, Owaisi Attacks PM for His 'Jai Shri Ram' Greeting
- Injected With Petrol Into Their Private Parts, UP Teenagers Still Await Surgery
- Scenes With Ranbir in Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Not Frivolous Sensuality: Aishwarya
- Muslim Woman Refuses to Accept Triple Talaq Notice by Husband
- Notice to Katju on Petition Against His Blog Post on Beef
- Following Rajnath Singh's Orders, Delhi Police Forms SIT to Trace Missing JNU Student
- Discriminatory Practises Cannot Be Held Integral to Freedom of Religion: Law Minister on Triple Talaq
- Congress' Rita Bahuguna Joins BJP, Hits Out at Rahul for 'Khoon Ki Dalali'