Bihar Working on Nutrition Policy to Fight Malnourishment
With estimated 50 per cent of children in Bihar found underweight due to malnourishment, the state government is in the process of drafting a nutritional policy to cut down malnourishment rate to 20 per cent in another four year.
"The state social welfare department is working on nutritional policy, 2014 to bring down malnourishment figure to 20 per cent by 2018," Principal Secretary of Social Welfare Department Amarjeet Sinha told PTI.
Emphasis in the policy would be to fight problem of malnourishment through Manav Vikash Mission (human skill development mission), he said. The draft of the nutritional policy is ready and it would see light of the day soon, Sinha said.
The status report of ICDS (Integrated Child Development Scheme), 2013 found that about 2.3 crore children in the country up to 6 years of age are suffering from malnourishment and are under weight.
Bihar is the worst sufferer where 50 per cent of the children were found under weight. The same was 37 per cent in Andhra Pradesh, 36 per cent in Uttar Pradesh and 35 per cent in Delhi, the ICDS report said.
A Bihar government report in 2006 highlighted that 50 children out of 100 in Bihar are stunted. If a child is found stunted it means he or she is not gaining height since long. This is either because being unwell or not fed adequately since long.
A state government survey in 2010 found that 23 districts in Bihar had prevalence of malnourishment among children.
Kisanganj was the worst where 65 out of 100 children were found suffering from malnourishment.
- Absconding UP BJP Leader Dayashankar Singh Arrested From Bihar
- Gurgaon: Thousands Stranded on NH-8 Due to Waterlogging, Heavy Rains
- Govt Lists GST Bill For Consideration in Rajya Sabha
- One San Diego Cop Killed, Another Wounded in Shooting: Police
- Protestors Defy Curfew, Clash With Security Forces
- Indian National Not Executed in Indonesia: Swaraj
- Nike's Deepika Video Gets Rural India's YouTube Reply
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Salman Poaching Case: Key Witness Demands Police Protection
- Pregnant Woman Crushed to Death by Bus in Andhra
- Need to Have Dialogue With People of Kashmir: V.K. Singh
- Odisha: BJD MLA, Party Workers Thrash BJP Supporters, Case Registered
- Eight Held for Protests During BSP Leader Siddiqui's Visit in UP
- Judge Recuses From Hearing BJP MLA's Bail Petition
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED