Bihar: Girl Allegedly Abducted, Forcibly Converted to Islam
An incident of a minor girl allegedly forced to embrace Islam after being abducted and married has come to light in the Bhagalpur district of Bihar.
Bhagalpur SSP Vivek Kumar said, "We have sent Kahalgaon ASP Neeraj Kumar Singh to investigate the matter."
Police officers said quoting an FIR lodged by Krishna Sinha, mother of 17-year-old Sonu Rani, a class XI student, at the Sanokhar police station on May 11 that Rani had gone to her ancestral village Dhuwabe in Bhagalpur district to attend a ceremony on April 30.
There she was abducted by four boys and taken to Patna, New Delhi and then back to Bhagalpur where one of the boys Monty married her, police said quoting the FIR.
The girl was rescued by the police on May 24. According to the FIR, Rani escaped from the house where Monty's family lives and told her mother that Monty had lied to her about his religion and that she was forcibly converted after being beaten up and tortured.
She was also threatened that she would be sold in a red light area and her family members would be killed, police said.
Vivek Kumar said, "The girl during her statement in the court under Section 164 of the Criminal Procedure Code, had said she had gone with the boy on her own." Kumar said that the boy being a minor was sent to a remand home.
FROM OUTLOOKSena-RSS RowGirish Karnad, the well-known playwright, who triggered another round of debate on Bal Thackeray through his inaugural lecture...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionIt's all about Goenkarponn Goenkarponn (Goanness)more from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESVarun Gandhi, a BJP candidate in the Lok Sabha emore from WIRES>>>
- Rate Cut Possible Only If Inflation Eases: Rajan
- Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa Conferred Khel Ratna Along With Jitu Rai
- Curfew Lifted in Kashmir After 51 Days of Lockdown
- SC Pulls Up Azam Khan for Calling Bulandshahr Gangrape a 'Political Conspiracy'
- Submarine Data Leak Being Viewed 'Very Seriously': Navy chief
- Usain Bolt Won Nine Olympic Golds Because Of Beef: BJP MP
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Racism Row After South Africa School Asks Girls to Straighten Hair
- Dana Majhi Takes Part in 'Padayatra' Organised by Congress
- NIA Summons Geelani's Elder Son for Questioning
- John Kerry Samples Delhi Traffic, Gets Stuck in Jam Due to Waterlogging
- EC Notice to Maharashtra BJP, 7 Other Parties for Not Filing Tax Returns
- Govt Defers Mega Spectrum Auction by 2 Days to Oct 1
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED