Bharat Ratna Likely to be Awarded to Atal Behari Vajpayee: Official
Speculation is rife that former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee and Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose may be named for the country's highest civilian award Bharat Ratna.
The speculation has been fuelled by the Home Ministry placing an order of five Bharat Ratna medallions.
BJP leaders have in the past demanded Bharat Ratna be awarded to Vajpayee.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who is heading the BJP-led government now, would take call on this and probably would announced it in his Independence Day speech.
Among others whose names are being speculated is Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose.
A senior Home Ministry official said that four days back the government mint had been asked to make for five medallions of the Bharat Ratna.
"But ordering five medallions does not mean that five persons will be bestowed with Bharat Ratna. This is to keep adequate number of medallions in reserve," he said.
Besides, the government's rule for Bharat Ratna is clear that the number of annual awards is restricted to a maximum of three in a particular year.
The recommendation for Bharat Ratna is made by the Prime Minister himself to the President. No formal recommendation for this is necessary.
- Magnitude 6.1 Quake Rattles Rome, Central Italy
- One Dead, Dozens Wounded in Thai Deep South Car Bomb: Police
- N Korea Test Fires Sub-Launched Missile
- Nationalism is the Identity of BJP: Narendra Modi
- Pakistan-Not-Hell Remark Lands Kannada Actor in Sedition Net?
- Gujarat: 50 Cong MLAs Suspended From Assembly, Ruckus Over Una Incident
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Anil Arora, Mr. Bookworm, R.I.P.
- Washington State Declares Emergency Due to Wildfires
- Sensex Regains 28K Level, Up 118 Pts in Early Trade
- Deepika on Forbes' List of World's Highest Paid Actresses
- Rupee Down 9 Paise Against Dollar in Early Trade
- Delhi CM, Home Min to Attend Mother Teresa's Sainthood Ceremony in Vatican
- UP: Vehicle Carrying 'Beef' Set on Fire
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED