Beheading Video of 2nd American Journalist Authentic: US
The US today said a disturbing video showing beheading of American journalist Steven Sotloff by dreaded terror group ISIS is authentic, as President Barack Obama warned that "our reach is long and justice will be served".
The Islamic State militants released the video yesterday. Sotloff is the second American journalist to be executed by by ISIS in two weeks.
"The US intelligence community has analysed the recently released video ... And has reached the judgement that it is authentic," said Caitlin Hayden, the spokeswoman for the National Security Council.
"We will continue to provide updates as they are available," Hayden said.
In the video, Sotloff kneels in the desert, dressed in an orange prison-style jumpsuit. A masked "executioner" lords over him, wielding a knife.
ISIS blames President Barack Obama's decision to conduct airstrikes against the militant group in Iraq for the killing.
The Islamic State has thrived and mutated during the civil war in Syria. It swept into Iraq in June, seizing large swaths of the country's Sunni-dominated northern and western provinces.
Obama ordered targeted airstrikes in Iraq to begin in early August after ISIS fighters began targeting ethnic Yazidis and launching attacks toward the Kurdish regional capital of Irbil.
Calling Sotloff a "devoted and courageous journalist", Obama described his death as a "horrific act of violence".
Obama did not give a timeline for deciding on a strategy to go after the extremist group's operations in Syria.
"It'll take time to roll them back," he said, before vowing that the US would not forget the "terrible crime against these two fine young men," adding "our reach is long and justice will be served."
He said the US will not be intimidated by Islamic State militants and will build a coalition to "degrade and destroy" the group.
A video of another journalist, James Foley's execution was released last month.
The executioner appears to be the same person. The location of the two killings also appears to be similar.
"I'm back, Obama, and I'm back because of your arrogant foreign policy towards the Islamic State," the executioner says in the second video. "Just as your missiles continue to strike our people, our knife will continue to strike the necks of your people."
At the end, the video threatens the life of a British captive, just as the Foley video threatened Sotloff's life.
The SITE Intelligence group says there's no question the same masked fighter appears in both videos.
Following Foley's death, the British ambassador to the United States said that experts in his country were close to identifying his killer. He has not yet been named.
- Mumbai Is The Richest Indian City With Total Wealth Of USD 820 Billion
- Paytm Offers To Hire Employees Sacked By Rival Companies
- Kim Killing Suspect Thought She Was In A 'Comedy Video'
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Gujarat ATS Arrests Two ISIS Suspects From Rajkot And Bhavnagar
- Army Examination Cancelled At 6 Centres After Question Papers Leak
- Tight Security In Haryana As Jats Observe 'Black Day'
- Some Students 'Fantasise' About Breaking India Under The Guise Of Freedom Of Speech, Says Kiren Rijiju
- Public Sector Banks May Go On A Strike On Feb 28
- Shiv Sena Our 'True Well Wisher', Say Winner Muslim Candidates
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rahul Gandhi Says He Has Information Of PM Modi's Personal Corruption
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events
- Demonetisation Advisers Need Elementary Course In Economics Says Chidambaram
- 52 Killed, Over 100 Injured in Sufi Shrine Blast in Pak's Balochistan