Beheading Video of 2nd American Journalist Authentic: US
The US today said a disturbing video showing beheading of American journalist Steven Sotloff by dreaded terror group ISIS is authentic, as President Barack Obama warned that "our reach is long and justice will be served".
The Islamic State militants released the video yesterday. Sotloff is the second American journalist to be executed by by ISIS in two weeks.
"The US intelligence community has analysed the recently released video ... And has reached the judgement that it is authentic," said Caitlin Hayden, the spokeswoman for the National Security Council.
"We will continue to provide updates as they are available," Hayden said.
In the video, Sotloff kneels in the desert, dressed in an orange prison-style jumpsuit. A masked "executioner" lords over him, wielding a knife.
ISIS blames President Barack Obama's decision to conduct airstrikes against the militant group in Iraq for the killing.
The Islamic State has thrived and mutated during the civil war in Syria. It swept into Iraq in June, seizing large swaths of the country's Sunni-dominated northern and western provinces.
Obama ordered targeted airstrikes in Iraq to begin in early August after ISIS fighters began targeting ethnic Yazidis and launching attacks toward the Kurdish regional capital of Irbil.
Calling Sotloff a "devoted and courageous journalist", Obama described his death as a "horrific act of violence".
Obama did not give a timeline for deciding on a strategy to go after the extremist group's operations in Syria.
"It'll take time to roll them back," he said, before vowing that the US would not forget the "terrible crime against these two fine young men," adding "our reach is long and justice will be served."
He said the US will not be intimidated by Islamic State militants and will build a coalition to "degrade and destroy" the group.
A video of another journalist, James Foley's execution was released last month.
The executioner appears to be the same person. The location of the two killings also appears to be similar.
"I'm back, Obama, and I'm back because of your arrogant foreign policy towards the Islamic State," the executioner says in the second video. "Just as your missiles continue to strike our people, our knife will continue to strike the necks of your people."
At the end, the video threatens the life of a British captive, just as the Foley video threatened Sotloff's life.
The SITE Intelligence group says there's no question the same masked fighter appears in both videos.
Following Foley's death, the British ambassador to the United States said that experts in his country were close to identifying his killer. He has not yet been named.
- Stone-Pelters Should Fire Weapons, Then I Could Do What I Want: Rawat
- Impose Governor's Rule If J&K Is To Be Saved: Farooq Abdullah
- Narada Journalists Threaten Hunger Strike Over Dues
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10