Beheading Video of 2nd American Journalist Authentic: US
The US today said a disturbing video showing beheading of American journalist Steven Sotloff by dreaded terror group ISIS is authentic, as President Barack Obama warned that "our reach is long and justice will be served".
The Islamic State militants released the video yesterday. Sotloff is the second American journalist to be executed by by ISIS in two weeks.
"The US intelligence community has analysed the recently released video ... And has reached the judgement that it is authentic," said Caitlin Hayden, the spokeswoman for the National Security Council.
"We will continue to provide updates as they are available," Hayden said.
In the video, Sotloff kneels in the desert, dressed in an orange prison-style jumpsuit. A masked "executioner" lords over him, wielding a knife.
ISIS blames President Barack Obama's decision to conduct airstrikes against the militant group in Iraq for the killing.
The Islamic State has thrived and mutated during the civil war in Syria. It swept into Iraq in June, seizing large swaths of the country's Sunni-dominated northern and western provinces.
Obama ordered targeted airstrikes in Iraq to begin in early August after ISIS fighters began targeting ethnic Yazidis and launching attacks toward the Kurdish regional capital of Irbil.
Calling Sotloff a "devoted and courageous journalist", Obama described his death as a "horrific act of violence".
Obama did not give a timeline for deciding on a strategy to go after the extremist group's operations in Syria.
"It'll take time to roll them back," he said, before vowing that the US would not forget the "terrible crime against these two fine young men," adding "our reach is long and justice will be served."
He said the US will not be intimidated by Islamic State militants and will build a coalition to "degrade and destroy" the group.
A video of another journalist, James Foley's execution was released last month.
The executioner appears to be the same person. The location of the two killings also appears to be similar.
"I'm back, Obama, and I'm back because of your arrogant foreign policy towards the Islamic State," the executioner says in the second video. "Just as your missiles continue to strike our people, our knife will continue to strike the necks of your people."
At the end, the video threatens the life of a British captive, just as the Foley video threatened Sotloff's life.
The SITE Intelligence group says there's no question the same masked fighter appears in both videos.
Following Foley's death, the British ambassador to the United States said that experts in his country were close to identifying his killer. He has not yet been named.
FROM OUTLOOKterrorismNot a Pak-Afghan-bred radical, the new Islamic warrior could be a regular American guy, swayed by Al Qaeda,...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionThe second half of the month of Ramzan witnessed amore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESIn a major clampdown on Islamic radical groups, jumore from WIRES>>>
- Ahead of Diwali, Govt Approves 2 Per Cent Hike in DA
- Need to Have a Relook on the Minority Tag Given to Muslims: Giriraj Singh
- Pakistan Condemns 'Manhandling' Of Staffer, Says Espionage Charges False
- No Regulation of Media in a Democracy: Venkaiah Naidu
- Pak High Commission Staffer Asked to Leave India Within 48 Hrs
- SC Defers Hearing of Election Petition Against Sonia Gandhi
- Watch: Donald Trump Pulls Out All The Stops With 'Ab Ki Baar, Trump Sarkar'
- Daily Curator: What Happens In Family May Not Stay So
- Neeraj Pandey's Ouch Takes on the Complexities of a Relationship
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Libya's Navy Says 90 Migrants Perished After Boat Fell Apart
- Ready to Sacrifice Myself for the Party: Amar Singh
- Neither Bua Nor Bhatija Can Improve Law and Order in UP: Amit Shah
- Pak Not to Attend Asian Ministerial Conference on Disaster
- Twitter to Cut 9 Per Cent of Staff, Plots New Growth Strategy
- Ceasefire Violations, If Continues, Will Not Go Unpunished: Sharif Warns India
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED