Bearded Sikh Woman Chosen for Portrait Exhibition
A British Sikh woman, who suffers from a condition that causes facial hair growth, has been selected for a new portrait series celebrating 60 of the best beards from all over the world.
Harnaam Kaur who decided to keep her beard despite being bullied was chosen for Project 60, which marks the launch of Beard Season - a non-profit organisation seeking to raise awareness of skin cancer by urging people to grow facial hair.
The 60 portraits will go on display in London later this year.
Kaur has polycystic ovary syndrome, which can cause excessive hair growth.
She was just 11 years old when a beard started to appear on her face and the hair quickly spread to her chest and arms.
She had to tackle bullies at schools and even death threats over the internet until she took the decision to be formally baptised as a Sikh for its ban on cutting body hair.
"I would never ever go back now and remove my facial hair because it's the way God made me and I'm happy with the way I am. I feel more feminine, more sexy and I think I look it too.
"I've learned to love myself for who I am, nothing can shake me now," said the 23-year-old Slough-based teacher, who had decided to share her story with the world via You Tube earlier this year.
It has taken her years to gain the confidence to speak out.
During her early teens, she was extremely ashamed of her beard and tried waxing, bleaching and shaving.
Photographer Brock Elbank, added: "We've had a lot of interest from some truly amazing people and Harnaam is one of them. To have her on board is such an exciting prospect for us.
"I like the fact that she has embraced having a beard and she's very striking with it."
The project began in April this year when Beard Season began advertising on social media sites for the funkiest facial hair in the world.
The final 60 is currently being handpicked from thousands of applicants and many are being flown in from all over the world to Fenny Compton in the county of Warwickshire to be photographed by Elbank.
- Government Says 'No' To India-Pakistan Cricket Series
- CISE Declares Class 12 Results, Topper Gets 99.5%
- Delhi Man Killed For Objecting To Public Urination
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10