Barack Obama Orders Probe of Police Use of Military Hardware
President Barack Obama has ordered an investigation into whether it is "appropriate" for the US military to sell battle-grade hardware to local police, a senior US official has said.
The order follows widespread criticism of local authorities' use of military gear in Ferguson, Missouri after the fatal shooting of an unarmed black teenager by a white police officer.
Police there met protests with a massive show force - body armor-clad officers perched on armored trucks toting stun grenades and assault rifles - thanks to their access to such US military hardware.
Obama "has directed a review of federal programs and funding that enable state and local law enforcement to purchase military equipment."
The review will consider "whether these programs are appropriate," whether training with the equipment is sufficient, and whether there is enough federal oversight of the gear's use.
The investigation will be headed by "White House staff including the Domestic Policy Council, the National Security Council, the Office of Management and Budget," the official added yesterday.
Michael Brown's funeral, set to take place tomorrow, is likely to be a focal point for more demonstrations by angry protesters demanding that Darren Wilson, the policeman who shot the teenager at least six times, face justice.
- Whole of J&K Belongs to India: Swaraj on Sharif's 'Delusional Kashmir Dream'
- Kashmir: Congress Decides Not to Meet Rajnath Singh
- Declare Blackmoney by Sept 30 or Face Action: PM
- 80 Dead as IS Claims Twin Blasts During Kabul Protest
- Chennai: Search for Missing IAF Plane Intensified, Parrikar Conducts Aerial Survey
- 'Lone' Munich Shooter Kills Nine in Mall Rampage, Commits Suicide
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Daily Curator: Oh Non! #NiceAttack
- Has TV News Given Up The Ghost On Kashmir?
- Daily Curator: Gujarat Police Reopens The Ghost of Godhra
- Shami Takes Four on Comeback as West Indies Struggle at 120/5
- Root and Woakes Star as England Dominates Second Test Against Pakistan
- Clashes Rock Syria's Manbij as IS Ignores Ultimatum
- Orissa: Seven School Teachers Booked for Allegedly Sexually Harassing Girls
- President, PM Condole Raza's Death
- Orissa: Minor 'Assaulted' by BJD Men for Refusing to Donate Blood
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED