Badaun: Victims' Graves Under Seven Feet of Water
With the Ganga flowing in spate and the water level likely to increase further, the CBI's plan to exhume the bodies of two Badaun rape and murder victims for a second autopsy may prove difficult to carry out.
"The graves are under about seven feet of water and the red flag put up to identify the burial place has been washed away," executive engineer of Badaun's Flood Division D K Jain said here today.
Jain said the water level in the area is expected to rise further and if the sand bags placed around the graves are washed away it would be difficult to identify the place where the bodies of the two sisters, who were allegedly raped and hung by a tree at Katra village on May 28, had been buried.
He said about 91,895 cusecs of water was released from the Narora barrage yesterday, and 91,830 cusecs today. Besides, 1.3 lakh cusecs and 1.35 lakh cusecs waters were released from Haridwar during this period which would reach Usaihat, where the bodies have been buried, by this evening.
The CBI, which has taken up investigation into the case, had made an attempt to exhume the bodies for a second autopsy last month, but it had to be stopped due to the rise in the water level.
FROM OUTLOOKCrimeA series of shocking crimes that began the year seal Delhi's reputation as an anti-woman city...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionWhen I first came to Goa 25-plus years ago, one ofmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESA 24-year-old MBA student was kidnapped and allegmore from WIRES>>>
- Gurgaon Traffic Situation Eases, Prohibitory Orders Lifted
- Curfew Remains in Force in Some Parts of Kashmir Valley
- Kashmir: Army Foils Infiltration Bid, Two Militants, Two Soldiers Killed
- Save the Children-Supported Syria Maternity Hospital Bombed
- USA: 7.7-Magnitude Quake Off Northern Marianas, No Tsunami Alert
- Paris Attacks: French Authorities File Terror Charges Against Two
- Outlook Cover Story On RSS Trafficking Goes Viral
- Nike's Deepika Video Gets Rural India's YouTube Reply
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Karnataka CM's Son Dies of Multi-Organ Failure in Belgium
- Three Dead, One Hurt in Shooting North of Seattle: City Officials
- Aadhar Not Required for Assam, Meghalaya for PMUY: Pradhan
- DCW Refers AAP MLA's Domestic Violence Case to Delhi Police
- 800 Jobless Indians Starving in Jeddah, Swaraj Steps in to Help
- Kolkata: Actor-Photographer Arrested for Alleged Rape, Blackmail
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED