Badaun: Rape of One of the Cousins Not Confirmed, Says DGP
In a new twist to Badaun gang-rape and murder case, Uttar Pradesh DGP A L Banerjee today said rape of one of the two girls, who were found hanging from a tree, was not confirmed by forensic experts and that property could be a motive for the gruesome crime.
"Of the two victims, one was a lone child. Her father has three brothers who have limited resources. In case she is not alive, then it can benefit others. It (property) can be one of the motives. I am not saying that this is the motive," Banerjee told reporters here.
Several important facts had come to light after a team of forensic experts visited the crime scene, he said.
Rape of one of the victims was not confirmed by the experts, the DGP said.
Referring to recovery of four beer bottles and two glasses from the scene, he said, "It may be that the crime is of any other type. Those, who are being talked about, may not be involved. They might be released, but it depends on the investigations. We don't think that one of the victims was raped."
"Two policemen have been dismissed. If there has been any shortcoming, it will be rectified," he said.
Admitting laxity on part of the local police, Banerjee said a lot of evidence could have been collected immediately.
But, the local police made no extra effort to find them, he said adding the forensic team, which was sent to the scene, collected important evidence.
The post mortem report stated the victims died due to hanging, but examination by the experts revealed they were hanged after they were killed, the DGP said.
The DPG said it had been decided to conduct narco and lie detector tests on all the five accused arrested in the case.
"We have decided to conduct narco analysis and lie detector tests of the accused. If required they will be taken to Bengaluru," he said.
Bodies of two sisters, both cousins aged 14 and 15, were found hanging from a tree in Katra Sadatganj village last month.
A case was lodged against seven persons, including two policemen. Of these, five have been arrested.
The UP government had recommended a CBI probe into the gang-rape and murder which triggered a nation-wide outrage.
- K.P.S. Gill, Who Killed Terrorism In Punjab, Dies
- Yeddyurappa Will Be BJP's CM Face In Karnataka: Shah
- Modi Govt Should Rethink NITI Aayog Existence: RSS trade union
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' to release in China
- Angry Over Amit Shah's Comment, Telangana CM Says No Final Decision On Supporting BJP For President Post
- Indian Woman Uzma, Who Was Forced to Marry Pakistani Man, Returns Home, Swaraj Calls Her 'India's Daughter'
- Malayali Man Brings His Pakistani Lover And Her Parents to India With Fake Docs, All Detained in Bengaluru
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10