Badaun: Rape of One of the Cousins Not Confirmed, Says DGP
In a new twist to Badaun gang-rape and murder case, Uttar Pradesh DGP A L Banerjee today said rape of one of the two girls, who were found hanging from a tree, was not confirmed by forensic experts and that property could be a motive for the gruesome crime.
"Of the two victims, one was a lone child. Her father has three brothers who have limited resources. In case she is not alive, then it can benefit others. It (property) can be one of the motives. I am not saying that this is the motive," Banerjee told reporters here.
Several important facts had come to light after a team of forensic experts visited the crime scene, he said.
Rape of one of the victims was not confirmed by the experts, the DGP said.
Referring to recovery of four beer bottles and two glasses from the scene, he said, "It may be that the crime is of any other type. Those, who are being talked about, may not be involved. They might be released, but it depends on the investigations. We don't think that one of the victims was raped."
"Two policemen have been dismissed. If there has been any shortcoming, it will be rectified," he said.
Admitting laxity on part of the local police, Banerjee said a lot of evidence could have been collected immediately.
But, the local police made no extra effort to find them, he said adding the forensic team, which was sent to the scene, collected important evidence.
The post mortem report stated the victims died due to hanging, but examination by the experts revealed they were hanged after they were killed, the DGP said.
The DPG said it had been decided to conduct narco and lie detector tests on all the five accused arrested in the case.
"We have decided to conduct narco analysis and lie detector tests of the accused. If required they will be taken to Bengaluru," he said.
Bodies of two sisters, both cousins aged 14 and 15, were found hanging from a tree in Katra Sadatganj village last month.
A case was lodged against seven persons, including two policemen. Of these, five have been arrested.
The UP government had recommended a CBI probe into the gang-rape and murder which triggered a nation-wide outrage.
FROM OUTLOOKCrimeA series of shocking crimes that began the year seal Delhi's reputation as an anti-woman city...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionIn 2013, Ms. Flavia Agnes, feminist legal scholarmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESA 24-year-old MBA student was kidnapped and allegmore from WIRES>>>
- Open the Dam Shutters, SC Asks Karnataka to Release 6000 Cusecs of Water to TN
- After Indus Water Treaty, India Will Now Review the Most Favoured Nation Status Given to Pak
- Corruption Accused Ex-Corporate Affairs DG Bansal Commits Suicide Along With Son
- Clinton Puts Trump on Defensive in Fiery First Presidential Debate
- USA: Nine Injured in Shooting at Strip Mall in Houston
- Abandon 'Dream' of Obtaining Kashmir: Swaraj to Pakistan
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Watch: A Poacher's Court Tries To Save Elephants And Rhinos In Africa
- US Bans Many Soaps With Harmful Chemicals, Indians Too at Health Risk
- 6-Year-Old Boy Wonder Cooks Kerala's Puttu for US Audience on Ellen Show
- Bound By Chain Great Dane Starved To Death
- Yashvardhan Sinha Appointed India's High Commissioner to UK
- BSF Orders More Non-Lethal Weapons for Use at Bangladesh Border
- Pathankot on High Alert, Search Operation Launched
- Curfew Relaxed for Six Hours in Kishtwar District of J&K
- India Confronts Pak Envoy With Proof of Uri Attack's Cross Border Origins
- Pakistani Actors Should Condemn Uri Attack: Anupam Kher
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED