Badaun: Rape of One of the Cousins Not Confirmed, Says DGP
In a new twist to Badaun gang-rape and murder case, Uttar Pradesh DGP A L Banerjee today said rape of one of the two girls, who were found hanging from a tree, was not confirmed by forensic experts and that property could be a motive for the gruesome crime.
"Of the two victims, one was a lone child. Her father has three brothers who have limited resources. In case she is not alive, then it can benefit others. It (property) can be one of the motives. I am not saying that this is the motive," Banerjee told reporters here.
Several important facts had come to light after a team of forensic experts visited the crime scene, he said.
Rape of one of the victims was not confirmed by the experts, the DGP said.
Referring to recovery of four beer bottles and two glasses from the scene, he said, "It may be that the crime is of any other type. Those, who are being talked about, may not be involved. They might be released, but it depends on the investigations. We don't think that one of the victims was raped."
"Two policemen have been dismissed. If there has been any shortcoming, it will be rectified," he said.
Admitting laxity on part of the local police, Banerjee said a lot of evidence could have been collected immediately.
But, the local police made no extra effort to find them, he said adding the forensic team, which was sent to the scene, collected important evidence.
The post mortem report stated the victims died due to hanging, but examination by the experts revealed they were hanged after they were killed, the DGP said.
The DPG said it had been decided to conduct narco and lie detector tests on all the five accused arrested in the case.
"We have decided to conduct narco analysis and lie detector tests of the accused. If required they will be taken to Bengaluru," he said.
Bodies of two sisters, both cousins aged 14 and 15, were found hanging from a tree in Katra Sadatganj village last month.
A case was lodged against seven persons, including two policemen. Of these, five have been arrested.
The UP government had recommended a CBI probe into the gang-rape and murder which triggered a nation-wide outrage.
- Rs 2000 Notes By 'Children's Bank Of India'
- Hafiz Saeed Challenge House Arrest
- Amnesty Blames Trump In Global Rollback of Rights.
- US Plans To Deport Undocumented Immigrants
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- 'You Are Making Mockery Of Environment': NGT Issues Notice To Karnataka Over Bellandur Lake
- 'BJP Will Get Full Majority', Amit Shah Rules Out Any Post-Poll Alliance
- Snapdeal Founders Kunal Bahl, Rohit Bansal Take 100% Salary Cut
- Over A Lakh Ola And Uber Drivers Begin Indefinite Strike In Bengaluru
- Aamir Khan's Ad on BMC Sparks Controversy, Sena, Congress Accuses It of 'Influencing Voters'
- Nadella Pitches for Poor, Unveils India-Centric Tech for Semi-Skilled
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Stockholm-Based Think-Tank Says India Was The World's Largest Arms Importer In The Past Five Years
- Wary Of Indian Space-Tech, China Plans On Fast-Tracking Its Rocket Launches
- In A First, CBI Carries Out Searches At Former Chief A.P. Singh's Residence
- Don't Endorse The 'Donkeys Of Gujarat', Akhilesh Tells Amitabh Bachchan
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman