Badaun Rape: CBI May Recommend Action Against UP Cops
CBI may recommend disciplinary action against Uttar Pradesh police officers who probed Badaun rape and murder case for apparently carrying out a "shoddy investigation".
The agency may not even oppose the bail plea of the five accused, who have been in custody for over last two months, as circumstantial and technical evidence collected so far indicates that they do not have any direct role in the alleged rape and murder of two teenage sisters, CBI sources said.
The sources said prima facie it seems that the content of the FIR do not conform with the initial findings of the agency and that the accused persons were unnecessarily "harassed" by the investigating team of UP Police.
They further said that some more material evidence is awaited and if that supports the case of the accused, the agency may not oppose their bail applications.
"It is not fair to keep innocent people under custody. We are looking into the case and if some more material evidence goes in their favour, we may not oppose their bail plea," a senior official said.
The change in CBI stand comes after it received the reports of Central Forensic Science Laboratory (CFSL), which conducted three important tests -- forensic psychological assessment, forensic statement analysis and polygraph (lie-detector) test.
The sources said that these tests were done to check the authenticity of the statements given by the five accused -- Pappu, Awadhesh and Urvesh Yadav (brothers) and constables Chhatrapal Yadav and Sarvesh Yadav -- that they were not involved in the alleged rape and murder case.
The two teenage girls, cousins aged 14 and 15 years, were allegedly gang-raped and murdered with their bodies found hanging from a mango tree a day after they went missing on May 27, in a village in the Ushait area of Badaun.
- Telangana CM Offers Gold Moustache To Temple
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Kim Jong-Nam Was Killed By Lethal VX Nerve Agent
- 5 Crore Indians Suffer From Depression
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Man Sitting On Indefinite Hunger Strike Gets Married At The Protest Site
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events
- Female Intruder From Pakistan Shot Dead, Another Arrested By The BSF
- After Ornaments, Telangana CM Now Offers Gold Moustache At Another Temple
- Business Models Of E-Tailers Running Out Of Steam, Haven't Worked, Says Mohandas Pai
- Demonetisation Sucked in Cash Like Vacuum Cleaner, Adversely Affected Consumption: IMF Official
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman