Badaun Rape: CBI May Recommend Action Against UP Cops
CBI may recommend disciplinary action against Uttar Pradesh police officers who probed Badaun rape and murder case for apparently carrying out a "shoddy investigation".
The agency may not even oppose the bail plea of the five accused, who have been in custody for over last two months, as circumstantial and technical evidence collected so far indicates that they do not have any direct role in the alleged rape and murder of two teenage sisters, CBI sources said.
The sources said prima facie it seems that the content of the FIR do not conform with the initial findings of the agency and that the accused persons were unnecessarily "harassed" by the investigating team of UP Police.
They further said that some more material evidence is awaited and if that supports the case of the accused, the agency may not oppose their bail applications.
"It is not fair to keep innocent people under custody. We are looking into the case and if some more material evidence goes in their favour, we may not oppose their bail plea," a senior official said.
The change in CBI stand comes after it received the reports of Central Forensic Science Laboratory (CFSL), which conducted three important tests -- forensic psychological assessment, forensic statement analysis and polygraph (lie-detector) test.
The sources said that these tests were done to check the authenticity of the statements given by the five accused -- Pappu, Awadhesh and Urvesh Yadav (brothers) and constables Chhatrapal Yadav and Sarvesh Yadav -- that they were not involved in the alleged rape and murder case.
The two teenage girls, cousins aged 14 and 15 years, were allegedly gang-raped and murdered with their bodies found hanging from a mango tree a day after they went missing on May 27, in a village in the Ushait area of Badaun.
FROM OUTLOOKCrimeA series of shocking crimes that began the year seal Delhi's reputation as an anti-woman city...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionWhen I first came to Goa 25-plus years ago, one ofmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESA 24-year-old MBA student was kidnapped and allegmore from WIRES>>>
- SC Critical of Magistrate Ordering Probe in Rahul Defamation Case
- Modi May Get Me Killed as Well: Kejriwal
- Sharif Describes Kashmir As 'Unfinished Agenda' of UN
- Key Witness Says Salman Khan Killed the Chinkara
- Muslim Women Beaten Up by Gau Rakshaks in MP, Uproar in RS
- Narsingh Replaced by Rana, Scandal Reaches Police
- Nike's Deepika Video Gets Rural India's YouTube Reply
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- LS Passes Bill to Check Benami Transactions
- Tribunal Nixed Karnataka Petition to Divert Mahadayi Water: Goa CM
- Woman Alleges Gang Rape by Two in Nallasopara
- No Indian Writer in Booker Prize 2016 Longlist
- AgustaWestland Bribery Scam: CBI Returns From Italy
- AAP MLA Amanatullah Khan Moves Sessions Court for Bail
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED