Azad Made Leader of Cong in RS, Set to Lead Opposition
Former Union Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad today appeared all set to become Leader of the Opposition in Rajya Sabha after his appointment as Leader of Congress in the Upper House.
Anand Sharma, another minister in UPA-II, was made Deputy Leader of the party, Congress General Secretary Janardan Dwivedi said.
Since Congress has the requisite number to claim the post of Leader of the Opposition in the Upper House, 65-year-old Azad would be the natural choice.
Congress has 67 members in the 245-member House, thereby meeting the requirement of having ten per cent of the total strength of the House to get the post of Leader of the Opposition.
The two key appointments come on the back of the party making Mallikarjun Kharge, a senior Dalit leader from Karnataka, the Leader of Congress in Lok Sabha and former Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh the party's Deputy Leader in the Lower House.
Azad, who contested the Lok Sabha election from Udhampur in Jammu and Kashmir and lost by over 60,000 votes, is a party veteran and one of the senior most members in the Rajya Sabha.
Congress has announced the name of its Chief Whip and whips in Lok Sabha, while the same for the Rajya Sabha are yet to be announced.
Jyotiraditya Scindia, one of the two Congress MPs from Madhya Pradesh, was made the Chief Whip in Lok Sabha, while Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda's son and lone MP from the state Deepender Singh Hooda and Kerala MP K C Venugopal were appointed as whips in the Lok Sabha.
In the Rajya Sabha, names of Azad, Digvijay Singh and Anand Sharma were doing rounds for the post of Leader of House.
Dwivedi said, "The Chairperson of Congress Parliamentary Party Sonia Gandhi, exercising her authorisation by the Constitution of the Congress party in Parliament, has nominated Azad as Leader of Congress in Rajya Sabha and Anand Sharma as Deputy Leader."
- Mumbai Is The Richest Indian City With Total Wealth Of USD 820 Billion
- Paytm Offers To Hire Employees Sacked By Rival Companies
- Kim Killing Suspect Thought She Was In A 'Comedy Video'
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Gujarat ATS Arrests Two ISIS Suspects From Rajkot And Bhavnagar
- Army Examination Cancelled At 6 Centres After Question Papers Leak
- Tight Security In Haryana As Jats Observe 'Black Day'
- Some Students 'Fantasise' About Breaking India Under The Guise Of Freedom Of Speech, Says Kiren Rijiju
- Public Sector Banks May Go On A Strike On Feb 28
- Shiv Sena Our 'True Well Wisher', Say Winner Muslim Candidates
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rahul Gandhi Says He Has Information Of PM Modi's Personal Corruption
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events
- Demonetisation Advisers Need Elementary Course In Economics Says Chidambaram
- 52 Killed, Over 100 Injured in Sufi Shrine Blast in Pak's Balochistan