Azad Hails SC for Questioning Govt on LoP Issue
Hailing the Supreme Court for questioning government, Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Ghulam Nabi Azad today said the convention cited by NDA to deny LoP status to Congress in Lok Sabha has "outlived its life" and it was trying to damage democratic institutions.
He said the apex court's decision yesterday to go into the issue of interpreting the provision of LoP is a "vindication" of Congress' stand as the NDA government has been "pretentious" in denying the position to the party by "giving the issue a different colour only to make explicit its authoritarian tendencies of bulldozing its way through".
In a statement here on the SC's move, Azad said, "It is a landmark intervention to restore the bipartisan spirit of our democracy."
Charging that the Narendra Modi government's rhetoric about consensus is a "sham", the Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha said all acts of the government, including the denial of LoP status to Congress, are aimed at "damaging the institutions which have been the strength of our democracy".
The court decided to go into the issue of interpreting the provision of Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha in the matter of selection of statutory bodies when there is no recognised LoP.
Asking the government to make its stand clear within two weeks, a bench, headed by Chief Justice R M Lodha, emphasised the importance of the post saying Leader of Opposition conveys the voice of representation different from government in the House.
Azad said the NDA government had cited a convention which has "outlived its life" to deny the LoP status to Congress and it is trying to "subvert" the appointment of various statutory authorities like Lokpal and CVC among others.
"The NDA government has been pretentious in denying the position of the LoP to Congress by giving the issue a different colour only to make explicit its authoritarian tendencies of bulldozing its way through," he said.
- Tardy Reaction To Molestation Of A Ladkhi Girl Opens Wounds Of Government Apathy To The Region
- No Security Stamps In These 7 Airports Anymore
- Kerala To Launch First Sex Offenders Registry
- Gujarat To Ban Hookah Bars
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Government To Launch 'Twitter Seva' To Address Public Grievances
- Gujarat Assembly Passes Bill To Impose Complete Ban On Hookah Bars
- Over 61 % Voting in Phase-IV Of UP Assembly Polls
- Vyapam: No CBI Probe Into Madhya Pradesh Pre-Engineering Test
- No Need To Get Security Stamp On Hand Baggages Anymore In These 7 Airports
- Govt Ropes In Shilpa Shetty As Swachh Bharat Brand Ambassador
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman