Attack Outside UN School a Criminal Act: Ban
UN chief Ban Ki-moon today described the attack outside a UN administered school in Rafah that killed around ten Palestinian civilians as a "criminal act".
"It is a moral outrage and a criminal act. United Nations shelters must be safe zones not combat zones," Ban said while condemning the shelling outside UNRWA (UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East) school.
The UN Secretary General said that the resurgence in fighting in the Gaza strip is exacerbating the man-made humanitarian and health crisis.
"The attack is yet another gross violation of international humanitarian law, which clearly requires protection by both parties of Palestinian civilians, UN staff and UN premises, among other civilian facilities," the statement issued by Ban's spokesman said.
Ban noted that such attacks on refuge centers should stop immediately and the incidents be thoroughly investigated upon.
He added that the Israel Defence Forces have been repeatedly informed of the location of UN sites that are providing shelter to civilians.
"This madness must stop. Similar attacks on UN-administered schools must be swiftly investigated and those responsible held accountable," Ban said in the statement.
Repeating his demand to the parties to immediately end the fighting and return to the path of peace, Ban said that "restoring calm can be achieved through resumption of the ceasefire and negotiations by the parties in Cairo to address the underlying issues."
"The Secretary-General is profoundly dismayed over the appalling escalation of violence and loss of hundreds of Palestinian civilian life since the breach of the humanitarian ceasefire on August 1," the UN statement said.
- CBI Court Grants Bail to Advani, Joshi And Uma Bharti
- Rai To Meet Kohli, Kumble To Resolve Issues Around Coach's Appointment
- Bilkis Bano Rape Case: SC Refuses to Hear Plea of Convicted IPS Officer Bhagora
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10