At Rs 6,000 Cr, Modi Govt Grants 50% Jump in ISRO Budget
In a major boost for India's space programme, the Narendra Modi government has earmarked Rs 6,000 crore for ISRO in its maiden budget, which is a whopping 50 per cent jump in the agency's funding over last year.
In 2013-14, although the Department of Space was initially given Rs 5,615 crore, that allocation was later revised to Rs 4,000 crore.
A major chunk of the allocation in the new budget, Rs 3,545.63 crore, is for space technology while Rs 1,412.98 crore has been set aside for the INSAT project.
"Several major space missions are planned for 2014-15, including the experimental flight of India's future heavy- capacity launcher, GSLV Mk-III, one commercial launch of PSLV and two more navigational satellites," Finance Minister Arun Jaitley said today in his budget speech.
While Rs 378.76 crore has been extended for the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)'s GSLV Mk-III project, Rs 60 crore has been earmarked for Chandrayaan I and II, India's lunar mission.
"Our Mars Orbiter spacecraft is in its 300-day-long voyage to Mars along the designated helio-centric trajectory. Mars Orbiter Spacecraft is expected to be orbiting Mars on September 24, 2014," Jaitley said. The Orbiter Mission has been given Rs 65.93 crore in the latest budget.
The space department has taken several strides in the last year, launching the country's first inter-planetary project, the Mars Orbiter Mission, and the Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle (GSLV-D5).
Prime Minister Modi had last month witnessed the launch of five foreign satellites from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota.
He had said then that the successful launch of the foreign satellites was a "global endorsement" of India's space capabilities developed by "our brilliant scientists".
Noting that India had the potential to be a "large service provider" in this area, Modi had said that efforts must be made to construct new infrastructure and upgrade to launching heavier satellites.
- Outlook's Agony Aunt
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Hafiz Saeed A Serious Threat To Nation: Pak's Defence Minister
- CBI Searches Former Chief A.P. Singh's Residence
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- CBI Arrests IRS Officer For Bribery In IPL-Betting Scam
- Cong Promises to Strive for Removal of AFSPA If Voted Back to Power
- Indefinite Bandh Called Off In Nagaland
- At Least 6 Killed, 14 Injured In Suicide Blast Outside Pakistan Court
- Trump Picks Lt Gen McMaster As New National Security Advisor
- BSF Foils Infiltration Bid Along LoC, Militant Killed
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Wary Of Indian Space-Tech, China Plans On Fast-Tracking Its Rocket Launches
- 'He Would Put His Fingers Inside Me, Move My Leg Around': US Gymnasts Accuse Former Team Doctor
- Stockholm-Based Think-Tank Says India Was The World's Largest Arms Importer In The Past Five Years
- Woman Allegedly Raped Near South Delhi's Hauz Khas Village