At Least Half a Million Displaced by Ukraine Conflict: UN
Fighting in Ukraine has forced over half a million people to flee their homes, the UN refugee agency said today, warning that the spiralling crisis could could "destabilise the whole region".
At least 260,000 have been displaced within Ukraine, UNHCR spokesman Adrian Edwards said, adding that Moscow has reported that another 260,000 people have sought asylum in Russia.
Those numbers were meanwhile believed to be an underestimate, he said, pointing out that "many are staying with families and friends and choose not to register with the authorities."
On August 20, UNHCR put the number of people displaced inside Ukraine at 190,000, while Moscow said some 197,400 had fled to Russia.
UN refugee chief Antonio Guterres warned of dire consequences if the spiralling crisis in eastern Ukraine, which has killed more than 2,600 people since mid-April, is allowed to continue.
"If this crisis is not quickly stopped, it will have not only devastating humanitarian consequences, but it also has the potential to destabilise the whole region," he said in a statement.
"After the lessons of the Balkans, it is hard to believe a conflict of these proportions could unfold on the European continent," he added.
FROM OUTLOOKSpotlightThe plight of children of Sri Lankan refugees at a school near Bangalore shows no sign of improving...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionI recently dug my mother’s childhood photo amore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESVinay Shukla MOSCOW, Feb 13 (PTI) Former Checmore from WIRES>>>
- Nationalism is the Identity of BJP: Narendra Modi
- IITs to Admit Non-Resident Students
- Pakistan-Not-Hell Remark Lands Kannada Actor in Sedition Net?
- Gujarat: 50 Cong MLAs Suspended From Assembly, Ruckus Over Una Incident
- Toxic Gas Leak at B'desh Fertiliser Unit Sickens 250, Plugged
- Opposition MLAs Marshaled Out, Pandemonium in UP Assembly
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Anil Arora, Mr. Bookworm, R.I.P.
- Delhi: Fire Triggers Building Collapse, 250 Bikes Gutted
- Upset Over SC Curb on Dahi Handi, Record-Holding Mandal to Return Award
- Surat: Two Dead, One Suffers Partial Sight Loss After Consuming Hooch
- BJP Interfering in Federal Structure, TMC Complains to President
- Cow is Mother of Not Only Hindus But Also of Muslims: Swaroopanand
- South Africa, New Zealand Test Drawn After Match Abandoned
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED