At Least Half a Million Displaced by Ukraine Conflict: UN
Fighting in Ukraine has forced over half a million people to flee their homes, the UN refugee agency said today, warning that the spiralling crisis could could "destabilise the whole region".
At least 260,000 have been displaced within Ukraine, UNHCR spokesman Adrian Edwards said, adding that Moscow has reported that another 260,000 people have sought asylum in Russia.
Those numbers were meanwhile believed to be an underestimate, he said, pointing out that "many are staying with families and friends and choose not to register with the authorities."
On August 20, UNHCR put the number of people displaced inside Ukraine at 190,000, while Moscow said some 197,400 had fled to Russia.
UN refugee chief Antonio Guterres warned of dire consequences if the spiralling crisis in eastern Ukraine, which has killed more than 2,600 people since mid-April, is allowed to continue.
"If this crisis is not quickly stopped, it will have not only devastating humanitarian consequences, but it also has the potential to destabilise the whole region," he said in a statement.
"After the lessons of the Balkans, it is hard to believe a conflict of these proportions could unfold on the European continent," he added.
FROM OUTLOOKSpotlightThe plight of children of Sri Lankan refugees at a school near Bangalore shows no sign of improving...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionI recently dug my mother’s childhood photo amore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESVinay Shukla MOSCOW, Feb 13 (PTI) Former Checmore from WIRES>>>
- Congress Derails RS Proceedings Over Private Member Bill on AP
- Supreme Court Allows Abortion of 24-Week Old Foetus
- Two Killed, 17 Injured in Florida Nightclub Shooting Rampage
- SC Notice to Vijay Mallya on Petition of Consortium of Banks
- Sidhu Blasts BJP, Doesn't Say If He Is Joining AAP
- Chinkara Case: Rajasthan High Court Acquits Salman Khan
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Daily Curator: Oh Non! #NiceAttack
- Has TV News Given Up The Ghost On Kashmir?
- Daily Curator: Gujarat Police Reopens The Ghost of Godhra
- Assam: UPLA Chief Nikunja Kathar Arrested
- Una Incident: Dalit Writer From Gujarat to Return His Award
- Pranab Da Guided Me Like a Guardian: Modi
- Transport Employees Launch Indefinite Strike in Karnataka
- Army Arrests Wanted Terrorist in Assam
- UNSC Mandates Must Recognise Ground Realities: India
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED