Assam: Flood Situation Remains Grave, 950 Villages Under Water
With one person losing life in Morigaon district, the flood condition in Assam continued to be critical today as 950 villages remained under water affecting nearly seven lakh people.
According to the official daily flood report of the Assam State Disaster Management Authority, one person in Mayong revenue circle of Morigaon district was killed due to flood.
The report, however, did not mention the victim's identity and how he died.
As of now, a total of 31 revenue circles of 12 districts across the state are under the waters, it added.
In these districts, 6.85 lakh people have been affected and the various district authorities have opened 261 relief camps, where 1.79 lakh persons have taken shelter.
Meanwhile, carcass of three hog deer were recovered in Kaziranga National Park that might have died due to the flood, the report said.
"About 60-65 per cent of the Park area is still under flood water. Flood water still persists under 40 anti- poaching camp inside the National Park," it added.
The affected 12 districts are Barpeta, Bongaigaon, Dhemaji, Dibrugarh, Jorhat, Lakhimpur, Morigaon, Kamrup, Nagaon, Sivasagar, Golaghat and Tinsukia.
A total of 48,437.19 hectares of crop area have been affected and are still under water, the report said adding the Brahmaputra is flowing above the danger level at Nematighat (in Jorhat district), Goalpara and Dhubri towns.
FROM OUTLOOKCover StoryFor many, the worst may well be over. For several others, however, this may just be the beginning...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBMumbai MusingsBefore one could celebrate the strong and satisfacmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESItanagar, July 23 (PTI) Flood situation in Arunachmore from WIRES>>>
- No Explanation, No Opportunity to Defend Myself, Says Mistry in an Explosive Mail to Board Members
- Modi-Key Talks: NZ Assures 'Constructive' Approach on NSG Bid
- Akhilesh Briefs Governor Ram Naik on Political Situation in UP
- Former Karnataka CM B.S. Yeddyurappa Acquitted of Corruption Charges
- Manipuri Student's Body Found in JNU Hostel Room
- Paul Beatty Becomes the First American to Win Booker Prize
- Neeraj Pandey's Ouch Takes on the Complexities of a Relationship
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Police Registers Assault Case Against AAP MLA Amantullah Khan
- PM Asks Officials to Analyze World Bank Report Which Ranked India 130th
- Cabinet May Consider Advancing Budget to Feb 1
- UNESCO Approves Resolution on Jerusalem That Israel Says Denies Judaism's Ties to Temple Mount
- 26/11: India Not Responding to Pak Request to Send Witnesses, Says Prosecution
- Pak Lawmakers Slam Cricketers for Doing Push-Ups After Match Win Instead of Praying
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED