Assad Forms New Govt in Syria Amid Brutal War
Syria's President Bashar al-Assad formed a new government today, two months after his reelection, leaving key ministries untouched as a brutal war continues to ravage his country.
The new line-up includes 11 new ministers, but leaves Prime Minister Wael al-Halaqi, Foreign Minister Walid Muallem and Defence Minister General Fahd al-Freij in their posts.
The ministers of interior, justice, religious affairs, information and presidential affairs are also among those unaffected by the changes.
Among the new faces is Hassan al-Nuri, who will become minister of administrative development after his failed election run against Assad in this year's June 3 presidential vote.
Assad won the election, which was Syria's first multi-candidate presidential contest and came three years into its civil war, with 88.7 percent of the vote.
Most of the new ministers were in economic postings, in a potential nod to the dire economic straits in which Syria finds itself after more than three years of war and the deaths of 190,000 people.
The new line-up includes the creation of the post of minister of administrative development, and replaces the ministers of external commerce, hydraulic resources, transport, housing, economy, communication and health among others.
According to the United Nations, three in four Syrians live in poverty, with more than half living in extreme poverty.
The conflict has left many Syrians unable to meet even their basic needs and pushed unemployment beyond 50 per cent.
- K.P.S. Gill, Who Killed Terrorism In Punjab, Dies
- Yeddyurappa Will Be BJP's CM Face In Karnataka: Shah
- Modi Govt Should Rethink NITI Aayog Existence: RSS trade union
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' to release in China
- Angry Over Amit Shah's Comment, Telangana CM Says No Final Decision On Supporting BJP For President Post
- Indian Woman Uzma, Who Was Forced to Marry Pakistani Man, Returns Home, Swaraj Calls Her 'India's Daughter'
- Malayali Man Brings His Pakistani Lover And Her Parents to India With Fake Docs, All Detained in Bengaluru
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10