Arunachal Sets an Example With 70% Afforestation
Setting an example, the Arunachal Pradesh Environment and Forest Department has achieved 70 per cent afforestation in the state at a time when forest areas are decreasing alarmingly in the country.
The afforestation programme was undertaken under the State Compensatory Afforestation Fund Management and Planning Authority in 2010 in the areas where trees were cut by user-agencies for various purposes.
A Supreme Court judgement recently directed that there should be compensatory afforestation by the user-agency which should set apart a sum of money for the purpose.
The judgement also directed that the state concerned would have to make available land on which afforestation could take place.
"The fund resources for CAMPA are generated from the user-agencies who are proposing various developmental activities and against which they are applying for forest clearance," Diganta Gogoi, deputy conservator of forest (CAMPA & WP), said.
The state with a total 83,743 sq km geographical area has more than 5,000 species of flowering plants, 600 species of orchids, 89 species of bamboos, 18 species of canes, 400 species of ferns, 24 species of gymnosperms and equally high number of unexplored algae, fungi, lichens, bryophytes and micro-organism.
Moreover, it is home to more than 100 species of mammals, 650 birds, 83 reptiles, 130 fishes and seven non-human primates and innumerable species of insects, mirco-organisms and other life forms.
No wonder Arunachal Pradesh with its rich bio-diversity has been listed as one of the 18 “biodiversity hotspots” in the world.
Arunachal Pradesh has a total 51,540 square kilometres under forest cover out of which 10,089.99 square kilometres fall under reserve forests.
Gogoi pointed out that as per the directive of the state CAMPA, compensatory afforestation was the primary target and the fund was obtained particularly for protection and preservation of forests.
"As per the apex court guidelines, we are getting 10 per cent of the deposited amount annually. We will get more fund only if we plead the court for enhancement," Gogoi said.
He said that generally local species are taken up for plantation as indigenous species were more successful.
"If the state Forest Act is introduced, which is in the pipeline, with incorporation of traditional laws as suggested by various NGOs, there will be changes in the act and rules while implementing various schemes," he said.
FROM OUTLOOKEnvironmentThe Gujarat High Court orders the closure of about 1,500 industrial units in the state for violating pollution...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBReal EstateThree days after cracking the whip on real estatemore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, Mar 18 (PTI) In a bid to preserve the emore from WIRES>>>
- My Party and My Family Are United: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Tata-Mistry Tussle Heads to the Courts As Tatas File Caveats in SC, HC, NCLT
- Yashwant Sinha Led Delegation Meets Hurriyat Leader Geelani to Break Kashmir Impasse
- Six Members of a Family Injured in Pak Shelling in Jammu
- SC Directs Vijay Mallya to Disclose His Foreign Assets in Four Weeks
- Delhi: One Person Killed In Blast At Naya Bazar, Rajnath Calls Delhi CP
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- E-Ballot Facility for Service Voters Gets Govt Nod: CEC
- Snatch Tribal Rights, Face Action, Warns PM
- 300-Year-Old British Coin, One of Only 20 Ever Minted, Found in 4-Year-Old's Treasure Chest
- Muslim Community Must Seriously Ponder Over Triple Talaq: RSS
- Rename HRD Ministry as Education Ministry: Sisodia to Javadekar
- Saudi Man Dumps Bride for Sharing Pictures on Snapchat Just 2 Hrs After Wedding
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman Of Tata Sons, Ratan Tata To Hold Interim Position
- Ratan Tata: 'I Think Everybody Knows Where The Intolerance Is Coming From...'
- Now, Adult Film Star Accuses Trump of Sexual Harassment
- Not Just a Business Partner, But an Ally Who Stood By India in its Darkest Hours: Russia