Arunachal Seeks Assam's Cooperation for Hydel Project
Arunachal Pradesh has sought cooperation from Assam in expediting the execution of 2000-MW Lower Subansiri Hydro-Electric Project, which has been halted since December 2011.
State Home Minister Tanga Byaling discussed the issue with Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi yesterday during a courtesy call with the latter while returning from New Delhi, an official statement said here today.
The largest project in the country being executed by the NHPC, had run into rough weather when the work came to a halt in December 2011, when Assam anti-dam activists raised safety related issues even after completion of more than 55 per cent work. Since then, the project is incurring Rs 10 crore loss daily.
Alleging vested interests were taking upper hand in straining the age-old relations between both the neighbouring states by creating law and order problems, Byaling suggested a coordinated approach by both the Congress ruled state governments to defeat such divisive forces.
On the inter-state boundary row, Byaling advocated status quo till the union home ministry came out with an acceptable and amicable solution to the decades-old imbroglio on the basis of Supreme Court constituted Local Boundary Commission (LBC) report submitted to Union MoS for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju recently.
Rijiju during his maiden visit to the state had told mediapersons here on July 6 last that once the Supreme Court gives its directive on the basis of LBC report, the ministry would study it and contemplate action.
"I shall try to win the confidence of the chief ministers of Assam and Arunachal Pradesh to find an amicable and lasting solution to the decades-long interstate imbroglio," Rijiju had assured.
Gogoi after giving a patient hearing to all issues, assured all possible steps to strengthen the bilateral relations in the greater national interest, the statement added.
- DMK Objects to Jayalalithaa's Portraits
- 'I Am Not Scared Of ABVP', DU Student And Kargil Martyr's Daughter's Facebook Post Goes Viral Sends Strong Message To ABVP
- 'Delhi Police Has Become Agent of BJP'
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Censor Board Responsible for Preserving India's Culture: Pahlaj Nihalani
- Ramjas Violence: College Forms Panel to Probe Students' Role
- 'Rs 10 Lakh Each Paid To 141 Families Of Manual Scavengers': TN Govt Tells Madras HC
- China's Bad Loans In 2016 Came Up To A Whopping USD 220 Billion
- Donkeys, Pigeons And Even Kasab: Morsels Of Madness From Uttar Pradesh
- DCW Orders Probe into Alleged Attacks on Women by Cops at DU
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman