Arunachal Seeks Assam's Cooperation for Hydel Project
Arunachal Pradesh has sought cooperation from Assam in expediting the execution of 2000-MW Lower Subansiri Hydro-Electric Project, which has been halted since December 2011.
State Home Minister Tanga Byaling discussed the issue with Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi yesterday during a courtesy call with the latter while returning from New Delhi, an official statement said here today.
The largest project in the country being executed by the NHPC, had run into rough weather when the work came to a halt in December 2011, when Assam anti-dam activists raised safety related issues even after completion of more than 55 per cent work. Since then, the project is incurring Rs 10 crore loss daily.
Alleging vested interests were taking upper hand in straining the age-old relations between both the neighbouring states by creating law and order problems, Byaling suggested a coordinated approach by both the Congress ruled state governments to defeat such divisive forces.
On the inter-state boundary row, Byaling advocated status quo till the union home ministry came out with an acceptable and amicable solution to the decades-old imbroglio on the basis of Supreme Court constituted Local Boundary Commission (LBC) report submitted to Union MoS for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju recently.
Rijiju during his maiden visit to the state had told mediapersons here on July 6 last that once the Supreme Court gives its directive on the basis of LBC report, the ministry would study it and contemplate action.
"I shall try to win the confidence of the chief ministers of Assam and Arunachal Pradesh to find an amicable and lasting solution to the decades-long interstate imbroglio," Rijiju had assured.
Gogoi after giving a patient hearing to all issues, assured all possible steps to strengthen the bilateral relations in the greater national interest, the statement added.
FROM OUTLOOKCover StoryIf things don't change, in another three years, the metros can expect 8 to 10 hours of power...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionHere’s the good news: wind power, solar powemore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, July 24 (PTI) As many as 195 small hydrmore from WIRES>>>
- PM Should Also be Suspended for 'Inviting ISI to Pathankot': Mann
- Patient Shoots Doctor at Berlin Hospital, Kills Self: Police
- Irom Sharmila to Call Off Hunger Strike After 16 Years
- Devas-Antrix Deal: India Loses Arbitration Case at the Hague
- Four Militants Killed, Another Apprehended in Kupwara
- Flipkart Acquires Jabong From Global Fashion Group
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Daily Curator: Oh Non! #NiceAttack
- 'Pained' by Una Episode, Many Dalits Plan to Embrace Buddhism
- British PM May Calls Sharif to Discuss Ties
- Child Labour Bill a Missed Opportunity for Children: Satyarthi
- Govt Holds Meet With RSS Affiliates Over Key Economic Issues
- HC Seeks Centre's Report on Use of Pellet Guns in Kashmir
- Psychological Warfare on Social Media Our New Threat: Rathore
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED