Anderson Admitted to Abusing Jadeja During Hearing
He may have been let off after an ICC hearing but it has now come to light that England pacer James Anderson did admit to abusing Indian all-rounder Ravindra Jadeja during their altercation during the opening Test in Nottingham.
According to a report in ESPNCricinfo, Anderson had threatened to break Jadeja's teeth during the altercation. The matter was brought to a close earlier this week when an ICC appointed judicial commissioner exonerated both the players of the respective charges brought against them.
"...He (Anderson) admitted to having continuously abused Jadeja, pushing him and acting in breach of the spirit of cricket. He also threatened to break Jadeja's teeth, the BCCI's counsel contended while appealing the sentence earlier handed to Jadeja by match referee David Boon," the report said.
"These were two different but overlapping cases. The BCCI counsel took part in the appeal against Jadeja's sentence, but the case involving Anderson was pursued by the ICC's lawyer, as is the protocol for Level 3 charges. The BCCI counsel didn't get a chance to cross-examine Anderson during that main case but did so during the Jadeja appeal.
"The cross-examination was intense and aggressive, say those present, and began with the BCCI counsel addressing Anderson using some of the swear words allegedly used by the player, catching him by surprise," he added.
Chronicling the incident, the report stated that the abuse by Anderson was continuous.
"The incident took place as the players were walking off for lunch on the second day of the Trent Bridge Test. Anderson had appealed for a catch at the wicket against Jadeja with the first ball of the over, after which he was seen having a word with Jadeja. Umpire Bruce Oxenford's witness statement said he intervened and asked Anderson to stop chirping. The chirping, though, continued," he said.
Anderson reportedly even refused to acknowledge his actions as against the spirit of the game.
"Anderson didn't contest MS Dhoni's statement as witness that he abused Jadeja again, and asked him to return to the dressing room, This is also when he is said to have threatened to break Jadeja's teeth. Anderson was asked if he thought his actions were against the spirit of cricket. He said, 'Yes'," he said.
- K.P.S. Gill, Who Killed Terrorism In Punjab, Dies
- Yeddyurappa Will Be BJP's CM Face In Karnataka: Shah
- Modi Govt Should Rethink NITI Aayog Existence: RSS trade union
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' to release in China
- Angry Over Amit Shah's Comment, Telangana CM Says No Final Decision On Supporting BJP For President Post
- Indian Woman Uzma, Who Was Forced to Marry Pakistani Man, Returns Home, Swaraj Calls Her 'India's Daughter'
- Malayali Man Brings His Pakistani Lover And Her Parents to India With Fake Docs, All Detained in Bengaluru
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10