Ananthamurthy Given Security, Says Nowhere Else to Go
Renowned Kannada writer and Jnanpith awardee U R Ananthamurthy has been given police protection following "threat perception" over his remark that he would leave the country if Narendra Modi becomes the Prime Minister.
"Security was deployed at Ananthamurthy's residence after an oral request by him in the wake of a "threat perception" over his remark," Additional Commissioner of Police (Law and Order) Kamal Pant said.
A group called NaMo Brigade had sent a travel itinerary to the writer to Karachi for May 17, soon after exit Lok Sabha poll results were announced.
The writer, however, changed his stand later and said he was emotionally overwhelmed while making the statement.
"It was too much to say because I can't go anywhere except India," Ananthamurthy had said.
"This time I think Modi was so attractive to the young who desired a strong nation like a growing China, America or any other country.
"There is something of national spirit and that I think brought him to power. But basically I am a critic of nationalism because quite a few lies can spread on the basis of nationalism," he told reporters here.
Ananthamurthy said he wanted a supple nation, instead of a strong nation, because the later can break like Germany and Japan.
"I don't want a strong nation. I want a supple nation. A strong nation can break. We know what has happened to Germany," he said.
- Encounter In Assam Was Fake, Says Top CRPF Officer
- Nepal Prime Minister Prachanda Resigns
- 'Enemy' Will Remember Pakistan's Response
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10