Ananthamurthy Given Security, Says Nowhere Else to Go
Renowned Kannada writer and Jnanpith awardee U R Ananthamurthy has been given police protection following "threat perception" over his remark that he would leave the country if Narendra Modi becomes the Prime Minister.
"Security was deployed at Ananthamurthy's residence after an oral request by him in the wake of a "threat perception" over his remark," Additional Commissioner of Police (Law and Order) Kamal Pant said.
A group called NaMo Brigade had sent a travel itinerary to the writer to Karachi for May 17, soon after exit Lok Sabha poll results were announced.
The writer, however, changed his stand later and said he was emotionally overwhelmed while making the statement.
"It was too much to say because I can't go anywhere except India," Ananthamurthy had said.
"This time I think Modi was so attractive to the young who desired a strong nation like a growing China, America or any other country.
"There is something of national spirit and that I think brought him to power. But basically I am a critic of nationalism because quite a few lies can spread on the basis of nationalism," he told reporters here.
Ananthamurthy said he wanted a supple nation, instead of a strong nation, because the later can break like Germany and Japan.
"I don't want a strong nation. I want a supple nation. A strong nation can break. We know what has happened to Germany," he said.
- 'One Nation One Tax' to Eliminate Corruption: Jaitley on GST
- Bangladeshi-Canadian Named as Dhaka Cafe Attack Mastermind
- Assam Flood Situation 'Grave And Challenging': Rajnath
- Karnataka CM's Son Dies of Pancreatitis in Belgium
- Clashes in Kashmir, Curfew Lifted in Many Areas
- Kashmir: Army Foils Infiltration Bid, Two Militants, Two Soldiers Killed
- Outlook Cover Story On RSS Trafficking Goes Viral
- Nike's Deepika Video Gets Rural India's YouTube Reply
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Army Takes Possession of Adarsh Building
- Angul SP Injured in Clash Between BJD, BJP in Odisha
- Terrorists Like Burhan Wani Don't Deserve Second Chance: Deputy CM
- West Indies Reach 88 for 4 at Lunch vs India on Day 1
- 16 Killed in Texas Hot Air Balloon Crash
- Court Convicts Film Director Farooqui of Raping US Researcher
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED