Amid Tension With SL, Junior Cricket Team Sent Back
A junior cricket team from Sri Lanka, which arrived here to participate in a private tournament, was sent back today owing to security concerns, senior police officials said.
The 16-member team had arrived from Colombo last night and were put up at an accommodation in the city. They were denied permission to participate in the tournament this morning owing to security reasons, officials added.
They later left for home. The Under-15 private tournament is scheduled to be held from August 4-7.
The incident comes close on the heels of a derogatory article against Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on a Sri Lankan official website which also had a graphic image of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
The article triggered widespread public and political outrage in the state prompting Sri Lanka to remove it and issue an unqualified apology to the two leaders.
Incidentally, in 2012, Jayalalithaa had, in line with her strident stance against Sri Lanka, ordered the sending home of a soccer team from that country which arrived here to play a friendly match.
The action came against the backdrop of her opposition to India training Sri Lankan military personnel not only in the state but also anywhere else in the country, saying the Lankan forces had committed war crimes against Tamils in the island nation.
An official in the Nehru stadium of the state government was suspended for giving oral approval for the match.
FROM OUTLOOKSportsNursing a badly bruised ego, a post-surgery Kiwiteam aim to rediscover the elusive art of flying...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBKotla DiayMischief and Delhi District Cricket Association (Dmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESK J M Varma Islamabad, Feb 7 (PTI) Former skmore from WIRES>>>
- Ahead of Diwali, Govt Approves 2 Per Cent Hike in DA
- Need to Have a Relook on the Minority Tag Given to Muslims: Giriraj Singh
- Pakistan Condemns 'Manhandling' Of Staffer, Says Espionage Charges False
- No Regulation of Media in a Democracy: Venkaiah Naidu
- Pak High Commission Staffer Asked to Leave India Within 48 Hrs
- SC Defers Hearing of Election Petition Against Sonia Gandhi
- Watch: Donald Trump Pulls Out All The Stops With 'Ab Ki Baar, Trump Sarkar'
- Daily Curator: What Happens In Family May Not Stay So
- Neeraj Pandey's Ouch Takes on the Complexities of a Relationship
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Libya's Navy Says 90 Migrants Perished After Boat Fell Apart
- Ready to Sacrifice Myself for the Party: Amar Singh
- Neither Bua Nor Bhatija Can Improve Law and Order in UP: Amit Shah
- Pak Not to Attend Asian Ministerial Conference on Disaster
- Twitter to Cut 9 Per Cent of Staff, Plots New Growth Strategy
- Ceasefire Violations, If Continues, Will Not Go Unpunished: Sharif Warns India
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED