Amid Tension With SL, Junior Cricket Team Sent Back
A junior cricket team from Sri Lanka, which arrived here to participate in a private tournament, was sent back today owing to security concerns, senior police officials said.
The 16-member team had arrived from Colombo last night and were put up at an accommodation in the city. They were denied permission to participate in the tournament this morning owing to security reasons, officials added.
They later left for home. The Under-15 private tournament is scheduled to be held from August 4-7.
The incident comes close on the heels of a derogatory article against Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on a Sri Lankan official website which also had a graphic image of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
The article triggered widespread public and political outrage in the state prompting Sri Lanka to remove it and issue an unqualified apology to the two leaders.
Incidentally, in 2012, Jayalalithaa had, in line with her strident stance against Sri Lanka, ordered the sending home of a soccer team from that country which arrived here to play a friendly match.
The action came against the backdrop of her opposition to India training Sri Lankan military personnel not only in the state but also anywhere else in the country, saying the Lankan forces had committed war crimes against Tamils in the island nation.
An official in the Nehru stadium of the state government was suspended for giving oral approval for the match.
- Mumbai Is The Richest Indian City With Total Wealth Of USD 820 Billion
- Paytm Offers To Hire Employees Sacked By Rival Companies
- Kim Killing Suspect Thought She Was In A 'Comedy Video'
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Gujarat ATS Arrests Two ISIS Suspects From Rajkot And Bhavnagar
- Army Examination Cancelled At 6 Centres After Question Papers Leak
- Tight Security In Haryana As Jats Observe 'Black Day'
- Some Students 'Fantasise' About Breaking India Under The Guise Of Freedom Of Speech, Says Kiren Rijiju
- Public Sector Banks May Go On A Strike On Feb 28
- Shiv Sena Our 'True Well Wisher', Say Winner Muslim Candidates
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rahul Gandhi Says He Has Information Of PM Modi's Personal Corruption
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events
- Demonetisation Advisers Need Elementary Course In Economics Says Chidambaram
- 52 Killed, Over 100 Injured in Sufi Shrine Blast in Pak's Balochistan