Amid Tension With SL, Junior Cricket Team Sent Back
A junior cricket team from Sri Lanka, which arrived here to participate in a private tournament, was sent back today owing to security concerns, senior police officials said.
The 16-member team had arrived from Colombo last night and were put up at an accommodation in the city. They were denied permission to participate in the tournament this morning owing to security reasons, officials added.
They later left for home. The Under-15 private tournament is scheduled to be held from August 4-7.
The incident comes close on the heels of a derogatory article against Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on a Sri Lankan official website which also had a graphic image of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
The article triggered widespread public and political outrage in the state prompting Sri Lanka to remove it and issue an unqualified apology to the two leaders.
Incidentally, in 2012, Jayalalithaa had, in line with her strident stance against Sri Lanka, ordered the sending home of a soccer team from that country which arrived here to play a friendly match.
The action came against the backdrop of her opposition to India training Sri Lankan military personnel not only in the state but also anywhere else in the country, saying the Lankan forces had committed war crimes against Tamils in the island nation.
An official in the Nehru stadium of the state government was suspended for giving oral approval for the match.
FROM OUTLOOKSportsNursing a badly bruised ego, a post-surgery Kiwiteam aim to rediscover the elusive art of flying...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBAppraisalHanif Mohammad, the original Little Master of cricmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESK J M Varma Islamabad, Feb 7 (PTI) Former skmore from WIRES>>>
- Pak Balochistan Province Assembly Resolution Condemns Modi
- PM's Fresh Bid on Kashmir: Talks of 'Ekta' And 'Mamata'
- JNU Rape Case: Varsity Suspends Accused Scholar
- Curfew in Some Parts of Srinagar, Two Towns in South Kashmir
- Trump Vows to Begin Deportations Immediately If Sworn In
- Pak: LeJ Terrorists Involved in Lanka Cricket Team Attack Killed
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Wet Outfield Denies India Chance to Level Series
- Delhi: 15-Year-Old Beaten to Death by Three Classmates, Says Police
- Scorpene Leak: DCNS Moves Aussie Court for Injunction Against The Australian
- Vadra, BJP MLA Engage in Verbal Spat Over Shaktiman
- Merkel Rejects Muslim Migrant Ban, Urges Fair Distribution
- Minor Raped by Juvenile Neighbour in Delhi
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED