Alleged Sexual Harassment of Lady Judge Figures in RS
The issue of alleged sexual harassment of a lady judge in Gwalior was raised in the Rajya Sabha today with senior lawyer and nominated member KTS Tulsi demanding immediate action on her complaint saying it would otherwise demoralise lady judges in the country.
Complaining of sexual harassment by a judge of Madhya Pradesh High Court, the additional judge had resigned on July 15 and wrote to the Chief Justice of India and others on August 1 in this regard.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, Tulsi said there has been an "inordinate delay" in examining the allegations of the lady judge.
Noting that the lady judge had an excellent performance record, he said repeated demands were made to her by a High Court judge to come to his residence and "dance to an item song".
He said that according to reports, the lady judge complained about the misconduct on June June 22 and "on July 8, she was transferred" as "punishment".
"On July 15, she resigned out of disgust" in spite of a brilliant career ahead her, Tulsi said.
Insisting that no judge in the country has any Constitutional immunity against crime and this episode has "nothing to do with the official duty of a judge", the member regretted that no action has been taken in the matter so far.
He said delay in holding inquiry into such matters will only demoralise other lady judges and urged the House to ask the Chief Justice of India to act expeditiously in the matter.
A number of members associated with Tusli's demand.
Deputy Chairman P J Kurien, however, said it is a matter, which is "to be considered by the Chief Justice of India and not us".
The issue was earlier raised in Lok Sabha. Government has already said that the matter should be expeditiously probed and if charges were found true, action should follow to restore public confidence in the institution.
FROM OUTLOOKparliament: jpc probeA whole Parliament session wasted. How our MPs undermine our democracy...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBFor the recordI want to expresse shock and protest the traffickimore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, Jul 23 (PTI) The 1999 Kargil incursionsmore from WIRES>>>
- My Party and My Family Are United: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Tata-Mistry Tussle Heads to the Courts As Tatas File Caveats in SC, HC, NCLT
- Yashwant Sinha Led Delegation Meets Hurriyat Leader Geelani to Break Kashmir Impasse
- Six Members of a Family Injured in Pak Shelling in Jammu
- SC Directs Vijay Mallya to Disclose His Foreign Assets in Four Weeks
- Delhi: One Person Killed In Blast At Naya Bazar, Rajnath Calls Delhi CP
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- E-Ballot Facility for Service Voters Gets Govt Nod: CEC
- Snatch Tribal Rights, Face Action, Warns PM
- 300-Year-Old British Coin, One of Only 20 Ever Minted, Found in 4-Year-Old's Treasure Chest
- Muslim Community Must Seriously Ponder Over Triple Talaq: RSS
- Rename HRD Ministry as Education Ministry: Sisodia to Javadekar
- Saudi Man Dumps Bride for Sharing Pictures on Snapchat Just 2 Hrs After Wedding
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman Of Tata Sons, Ratan Tata To Hold Interim Position
- Ratan Tata: 'I Think Everybody Knows Where The Intolerance Is Coming From...'
- Now, Adult Film Star Accuses Trump of Sexual Harassment
- Not Just a Business Partner, But an Ally Who Stood By India in its Darkest Hours: Russia