Alleged Sexual Harassment of Lady Judge Figures in RS
The issue of alleged sexual harassment of a lady judge in Gwalior was raised in the Rajya Sabha today with senior lawyer and nominated member KTS Tulsi demanding immediate action on her complaint saying it would otherwise demoralise lady judges in the country.
Complaining of sexual harassment by a judge of Madhya Pradesh High Court, the additional judge had resigned on July 15 and wrote to the Chief Justice of India and others on August 1 in this regard.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, Tulsi said there has been an "inordinate delay" in examining the allegations of the lady judge.
Noting that the lady judge had an excellent performance record, he said repeated demands were made to her by a High Court judge to come to his residence and "dance to an item song".
He said that according to reports, the lady judge complained about the misconduct on June June 22 and "on July 8, she was transferred" as "punishment".
"On July 15, she resigned out of disgust" in spite of a brilliant career ahead her, Tulsi said.
Insisting that no judge in the country has any Constitutional immunity against crime and this episode has "nothing to do with the official duty of a judge", the member regretted that no action has been taken in the matter so far.
He said delay in holding inquiry into such matters will only demoralise other lady judges and urged the House to ask the Chief Justice of India to act expeditiously in the matter.
A number of members associated with Tusli's demand.
Deputy Chairman P J Kurien, however, said it is a matter, which is "to be considered by the Chief Justice of India and not us".
The issue was earlier raised in Lok Sabha. Government has already said that the matter should be expeditiously probed and if charges were found true, action should follow to restore public confidence in the institution.
FROM OUTLOOKparliament: jpc probeA whole Parliament session wasted. How our MPs undermine our democracy...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBFor the recordI want to expresse shock and protest the traffickimore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, Jul 23 (PTI) The 1999 Kargil incursionsmore from WIRES>>>
- Pak Balochistan Province Assembly Resolution Condemns Modi
- PM's Fresh Bid on Kashmir: Talks of 'Ekta' And 'Mamata'
- JNU Rape Case: Varsity Suspends Accused Scholar
- Curfew in Some Parts of Srinagar, Two Towns in South Kashmir
- Trump Vows to Begin Deportations Immediately If Sworn In
- Pak: LeJ Terrorists Involved in Lanka Cricket Team Attack Killed
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Wet Outfield Denies India Chance to Level Series
- Delhi: 15-Year-Old Beaten to Death by Three Classmates, Says Police
- Scorpene Leak: DCNS Moves Aussie Court for Injunction Against The Australian
- Vadra, BJP MLA Engage in Verbal Spat Over Shaktiman
- Merkel Rejects Muslim Migrant Ban, Urges Fair Distribution
- Minor Raped by Juvenile Neighbour in Delhi
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED