All-Party Committee on ILP Formed in Manipur
A 13-member all-party committee has been formed to look into the demand of various social organisations for introduction of Inner Line Permit (ILP) to protect the indigenous people in Manipur, officials said.
The decision to form the committee was taken in a 6-hour-long all-party meeting presided over by Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh last evening, they said. The Naga People's Front, however, did not participate in the meeting.
The committee would consider whether a separate law could be enacted by the state Assembly and submit its report soon to the government. The first meeting of the committee would be held on August 9, officials said.
Representatives of the political parties have urged the government in the meeting to release about 100 women activists, now in judicial custody for demanding introduction of ILP in the state, JD(U) leader M Tombi said.
ILP system is in force in neighbouring Nagaland, Mizoram, and Arunachal Pradesh.
FROM OUTLOOKassembly pollsIt's realignments galore as key players bicker or switch sides in the run-up to the polls...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBAssembly elections 2001In the end there was no constitutional crisis as fmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESThe newly elected members of Jammu and Kashmir Assmore from WIRES>>>
- No Explanation, No Opportunity to Defend Myself, Says Mistry in an Explosive Mail to Board Members
- Modi-Key Talks: NZ Assures 'Constructive' Approach on NSG Bid
- Akhilesh Briefs Governor Ram Naik on Political Situation in UP
- Former Karnataka CM B.S. Yeddyurappa Acquitted of Corruption Charges
- Manipuri Student's Body Found in JNU Hostel Room
- Paul Beatty Becomes the First American to Win Booker Prize
- Neeraj Pandey's Ouch Takes on the Complexities of a Relationship
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Police Registers Assault Case Against AAP MLA Amantullah Khan
- PM Asks Officials to Analyze World Bank Report Which Ranked India 130th
- Cabinet May Consider Advancing Budget to Feb 1
- UNESCO Approves Resolution on Jerusalem That Israel Says Denies Judaism's Ties to Temple Mount
- 26/11: India Not Responding to Pak Request to Send Witnesses, Says Prosecution
- Pak Lawmakers Slam Cricketers for Doing Push-Ups After Match Win Instead of Praying
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED