All Necessary Steps Be Taken for Women's Security: Rahul
Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi today called for taking all necessary steps to improve law and order to ensure safety and security of women in the wake of repeated incidents of rape coming to light across the country.
He also called for changing the people's mindset, which, he said, is a "major challenge" and needs to be addressed urgently.
"We must take all necessary steps to improve law and order to ensure safety and security for women. But changing mindset is a major challenge and one that we must address urgently. There can be no development, no prosperity and no progress if such barbarism is allowed to continue," he said in a statement.
Gandhi said it was "deeply disturbing" to hear about "gruesome" incidents where women are made a target of such "extreme violence".
Referring to the brutal rape and murder of two young girls in Badaun in UP and the recent rape of a minor girl in Jhalawar in Rajasthan, he said an alleged rape, which had taken place in his Lok Sabha constituency Amethi yesterday, "is unacceptable".
"I am extremely saddened to learn of an alleged rape in Amethi. The matter is under investigation. We are closely monitoring the situation and following up with the district administration to ensure that all the facts come to light and justice is meted out quickly," he said.
- Suicide Bomber Responsible For Manchester Blast
- Sukhoi Fighter Jet Goes Missing Near Tezpur in Assam
- Ex-Congress MP Naveen Jindal Summoned As Accused In Coal-Scam Case
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- 1984 Riots: Congress Leader Jagdish Tytler Refuses To Undergo Polygraph Test
- Bomb Scare Delays Movie Screening At Cannes
- Indian Railways' First Ever High-Speed Luxurious Train, Tejas Express, To Be Flagged Off Today
- Allegations Prove Others Are Scared of AAP's Anti-Corruption Campaign: Kejriwal
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10