All Necessary Steps Be Taken for Women's Security: Rahul
Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi today called for taking all necessary steps to improve law and order to ensure safety and security of women in the wake of repeated incidents of rape coming to light across the country.
He also called for changing the people's mindset, which, he said, is a "major challenge" and needs to be addressed urgently.
"We must take all necessary steps to improve law and order to ensure safety and security for women. But changing mindset is a major challenge and one that we must address urgently. There can be no development, no prosperity and no progress if such barbarism is allowed to continue," he said in a statement.
Gandhi said it was "deeply disturbing" to hear about "gruesome" incidents where women are made a target of such "extreme violence".
Referring to the brutal rape and murder of two young girls in Badaun in UP and the recent rape of a minor girl in Jhalawar in Rajasthan, he said an alleged rape, which had taken place in his Lok Sabha constituency Amethi yesterday, "is unacceptable".
"I am extremely saddened to learn of an alleged rape in Amethi. The matter is under investigation. We are closely monitoring the situation and following up with the district administration to ensure that all the facts come to light and justice is meted out quickly," he said.
FROM OUTLOOKCongressAs the elections approach, expectations are high in the Congress that the Gandhi bahu will give a call...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionAs the Punjab and Uttar Pradesh elections loom larmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, July 23 (pti) Mohan Prakash, former genmore from WIRES>>>
- Open the Dam Shutters, SC Asks Karnataka to Release 6000 Cusecs of Water to TN
- After Indus Water Treaty, India Will Now Review the Most Favoured Nation Status Given to Pak
- Corruption Accused Ex-Corporate Affairs DG Bansal Commits Suicide Along With Son
- Clinton Puts Trump on Defensive in Fiery First Presidential Debate
- USA: Nine Injured in Shooting at Strip Mall in Houston
- Abandon 'Dream' of Obtaining Kashmir: Swaraj to Pakistan
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Watch: A Poacher's Court Tries To Save Elephants And Rhinos In Africa
- US Bans Many Soaps With Harmful Chemicals, Indians Too at Health Risk
- 6-Year-Old Boy Wonder Cooks Kerala's Puttu for US Audience on Ellen Show
- Bound By Chain Great Dane Starved To Death
- Yashvardhan Sinha Appointed India's High Commissioner to UK
- BSF Orders More Non-Lethal Weapons for Use at Bangladesh Border
- Pathankot on High Alert, Search Operation Launched
- Curfew Relaxed for Six Hours in Kishtwar District of J&K
- India Confronts Pak Envoy With Proof of Uri Attack's Cross Border Origins
- Pakistani Actors Should Condemn Uri Attack: Anupam Kher
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED