Airstrikes Targeting Militants Kill 15 in Tripoli
Two airstrikes targeting Islamist militia positions in Libya's capital today killed 15 fighters and wounded 30 others, a senior Islamist militia leader and a militia spokesman said.
The militia leader said the warplanes targeted the Interior Ministry and several militia positions, setting fire to a warehouse.
He said two sons of the head of the military council of Misrata militias, Ibrahim Bin Rajab, were among the wounded. He spoke on condition of anonymity as he wasn't authorised to speak to journalists.
Mohammed al-Gharyani, the militia spokesman, said more than 30 fighters were wounded in the airstrikes but that the militia had not abandoned its positions, including the Interior Ministry, the army headquarters and the military police headquarters.
Al-Gharyani said militia fighters from other areas and towns were joining the Misrata forces and "our response will be severe."
Libya is witnessing its worst spasm of violence since Moammar Gadhafi was toppled in 2011. Many of the rebel brigades which helped overthrow the longtime dictator have become powerful, heavily armed militias.
A battle for control of Tripoli's international airport and surrounding areas has been raging for weeks, pitting the powerful Zintan militia from the western mountains against the Islamist-allied Misrata militia, named for the coastal city where it waged some of the most intense battles of the uprising.
It was not clear who carried out the airstrikes, but Misrata militia leaders said earlier that the jets belong to forces allied to renegade Gen. Khalifa Hifter, who has been leading a campaign against Islamic extremists.
The fighting has largely destroyed Tripoli's airport and prompted diplomats, foreign nationals and thousands of Libyans to flee.
- Stone-Pelters Should Fire Weapons, Then I Could Do What I Want: Rawat
- Impose Governor's Rule If J&K Is To Be Saved: Farooq Abdullah
- Narada Journalists Threaten Hunger Strike Over Dues
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10