Airstrikes Targeting Militants Kill 15 in Tripoli
Two airstrikes targeting Islamist militia positions in Libya's capital today killed 15 fighters and wounded 30 others, a senior Islamist militia leader and a militia spokesman said.
The militia leader said the warplanes targeted the Interior Ministry and several militia positions, setting fire to a warehouse.
He said two sons of the head of the military council of Misrata militias, Ibrahim Bin Rajab, were among the wounded. He spoke on condition of anonymity as he wasn't authorised to speak to journalists.
Mohammed al-Gharyani, the militia spokesman, said more than 30 fighters were wounded in the airstrikes but that the militia had not abandoned its positions, including the Interior Ministry, the army headquarters and the military police headquarters.
Al-Gharyani said militia fighters from other areas and towns were joining the Misrata forces and "our response will be severe."
Libya is witnessing its worst spasm of violence since Moammar Gadhafi was toppled in 2011. Many of the rebel brigades which helped overthrow the longtime dictator have become powerful, heavily armed militias.
A battle for control of Tripoli's international airport and surrounding areas has been raging for weeks, pitting the powerful Zintan militia from the western mountains against the Islamist-allied Misrata militia, named for the coastal city where it waged some of the most intense battles of the uprising.
It was not clear who carried out the airstrikes, but Misrata militia leaders said earlier that the jets belong to forces allied to renegade Gen. Khalifa Hifter, who has been leading a campaign against Islamic extremists.
The fighting has largely destroyed Tripoli's airport and prompted diplomats, foreign nationals and thousands of Libyans to flee.
FROM OUTLOOKPakistanThe madrassahs, flocked by students, are the training ground—for Islamic learning and militancy...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBFOR THE RECORDAll of us at Berkeley are devastated by the loss omore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESHTML clipboard With only "half-hearted" measuremore from WIRES>>>
- Agli Baar, Medal Beshumaar: PM Announces Task Force to Prepare India for Olympics
- France Top Court Suspends Burkini Ban
- Pak Regrets India's Rejection of 'Discuss Kashmir' Proposal
- Scorpene Data Leak Not a Big Worry: Parrikar
- Can't Order Establishment of 'Ram Rajya' in the Country: SC
- Haji Ali Dargah Should Allow Women, Says Bombay HC
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Whistleblower to Handover Scorpene Data Disk to Aus Govt: Newspaper
- Kanhaiya, Two Others Granted Regular Bail in Sedition Case
- Odisha Govt Admits Lapses, Man Says No Heed Paid by Hospital
- Are Decisions Taken by Cabinet Being Implemented, PM Seeks to Know
- AAP Removes Chhotepur as Punjab Convenor
- Cong Raking Up Needless Controversies for Political Gains: Naidu
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED