Airstrikes Targeting Militants Kill 15 in Tripoli
Two airstrikes targeting Islamist militia positions in Libya's capital today killed 15 fighters and wounded 30 others, a senior Islamist militia leader and a militia spokesman said.
The militia leader said the warplanes targeted the Interior Ministry and several militia positions, setting fire to a warehouse.
He said two sons of the head of the military council of Misrata militias, Ibrahim Bin Rajab, were among the wounded. He spoke on condition of anonymity as he wasn't authorised to speak to journalists.
Mohammed al-Gharyani, the militia spokesman, said more than 30 fighters were wounded in the airstrikes but that the militia had not abandoned its positions, including the Interior Ministry, the army headquarters and the military police headquarters.
Al-Gharyani said militia fighters from other areas and towns were joining the Misrata forces and "our response will be severe."
Libya is witnessing its worst spasm of violence since Moammar Gadhafi was toppled in 2011. Many of the rebel brigades which helped overthrow the longtime dictator have become powerful, heavily armed militias.
A battle for control of Tripoli's international airport and surrounding areas has been raging for weeks, pitting the powerful Zintan militia from the western mountains against the Islamist-allied Misrata militia, named for the coastal city where it waged some of the most intense battles of the uprising.
It was not clear who carried out the airstrikes, but Misrata militia leaders said earlier that the jets belong to forces allied to renegade Gen. Khalifa Hifter, who has been leading a campaign against Islamic extremists.
The fighting has largely destroyed Tripoli's airport and prompted diplomats, foreign nationals and thousands of Libyans to flee.
FROM OUTLOOKPakistanThe madrassahs, flocked by students, are the training ground—for Islamic learning and militancy...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBFOR THE RECORDAll of us at Berkeley are devastated by the loss omore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESHTML clipboard With only "half-hearted" measuremore from WIRES>>>
- Cabinet Drops 1% Additional Tax From GST Bill
- RBI Slaps Rs 27-Cr Penalty on 13 Banks for FEMA Violations
- SC Critical of Magistrate Ordering Probe in Rahul Defamation Case
- Modi May Get Me Killed as Well: Kejriwal
- Sharif Describes Kashmir As 'Unfinished Agenda' of UN
- Key Witness Says Salman Khan Killed the Chinkara
- Nike's Deepika Video Gets Rural India's YouTube Reply
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- BJP Objects to Digvijay's Tweets to His Partymen in Assembly
- Four Una Dalit Victims Admitted to Hospital Again
- Local Muslims Stayed Away From Kalam Statue Function: Ulemas
- Police Declares Eight Puri Temple Servitors As 'Absconders'
- Bharti Airtel Q1 Profit Dips 31% to Rs 1,462 Cr
- Chance for Reformation Has to be Given to Young Offenders: SC
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED