Air Raids Kill 31 Jihadists in Syria's Raqa: NGO
At least 31 Islamic State militants were killed in Syrian air force raids today in the northern province of Raqa, a stronghold of the jihadist fighters, a monitoring group said.
"The regime carried out 13 raids on the city of Raqa and 11 on the town of Tabqa in Raqa province, killing at least 31 jihadists and wounding dozens of them," said the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
The Britain-based group's head, Rami Abdel Rahman, said the raids were the regime's "most intensive" against the Islamic State since the jihadists joined the more than three-year-old conflict in Syria in spring 2003.
The IS has held most of Raqa province since February, after having ousted other rebel groups battling President Bashar al-Assad's regime.
The Observatory said the regime has also carried out air strikes on the eastern province of Deir Ezzor as well as Akhtarin and Dabeq in Aleppo province, two northern towns which the IS seized from rebels on Wednesday.
The Syrian military has turned its firepower on the IS since the jihadists in June declared a "caliphate" straddling Syria and neighbouring Iraq, where the group has been targeted by US air strikes over the past week.
"The regime wants to show the Americans that it is also capable of striking the IS," said Abdel Rahman, whose group relies on information from opposition activists and medics on the ground.
"The regime strikes the IS where it is strong. In regions where the group is confronted by rebels, it doesn't intervene so that the two enemies weaken each other," he said.
"But once one party takes the upper hand, it strikes," said Abdel Rahman.
Since joining Syria's conflict, IS has also seized most of Deir Ezzor, another province on the Iraqi border, spreading terror as it imposes its own strict interpretation of Islam with penalties such as beheadings.
- DMK Objects to Jayalalithaa's Portraits
- 'I Am Not Scared Of ABVP', DU Student And Kargil Martyr's Daughter's Facebook Post Goes Viral Sends Strong Message To ABVP
- 'Delhi Police Has Become Agent of BJP'
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Censor Board Responsible for Preserving India's Culture: Pahlaj Nihalani
- Ramjas Violence: College Forms Panel to Probe Students' Role
- 'Rs 10 Lakh Each Paid To 141 Families Of Manual Scavengers': TN Govt Tells Madras HC
- China's Bad Loans In 2016 Came Up To A Whopping USD 220 Billion
- Donkeys, Pigeons And Even Kasab: Morsels Of Madness From Uttar Pradesh
- DCW Orders Probe into Alleged Attacks on Women by Cops at DU
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman