AIBA Against Appointment of Former CJ as Governor
All India Bar Association today wrote to Prime Minister Narendra Modi objecting to the reported move to appoint former Supreme Court Chief Justice P Sathasivam as Governor of Karnataka maintaining that it would be a "deviation" from the Constitutional principles.
"The appointment of Justice P Sathasivam as Governor of Karnataka will be a deviation from the cherished principles enshrined in the Constitution," Adish C Aggarwala, Chairman, AIBA said in the letter to Modi, a copy of which was released to the media.
Referring to media reports which claimed that Sathasivam's name was being considered for the gubernatorial post in Karnataka, Aggarwala pointed out that the former Supreme Court Chief Justice had given a ruling in 2013 quashing an FIR against the present BJP president Amit Shah.
"In close succession to the said decision, and soon after retirement, the grant of the position is bound to be viewed with suspicion," he said.
"It would be neither in the interest of the government nor of Justice Sathasivam that he is considered for the post. Instead, the Government could consider his candidature for the position of Lokpal," he said.
- Congress Bastion Amethi Goes To Polls
- Assault on Kerala Actress Scares Me: Deepika
- Nokia Relaunches Iconic 3310 With Colour Display, Web Features
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- 'You Want To Make Universities Laboratories For Separatist Experiments?' Naidu Asks Congress, Left
- Madras High Court Exempts Class Xth Non-Tamil Students From Writing Examination In Tamil
- Banned SIMI Chief And 10 Others Given Life Imprisonment In Sedition Case
- Airtel Removes Roaming Charges on Calls, Data
- Now, BJP MP Pratap Simha Compares Kargil Martyr's Daughter With Dawood Ibrahim
- Political Speeches, Anti-Trump Jibes Dominate Oscars 2017
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Delhi Court Acquits 2 In 2005 Serial Blasts, Sentences Third Accused To 10-Year Jail Term
- Govt Plans Chaupals To Link Weaker Sections To Cashless System
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events