After Digital India, Jan Dhan, Govt to Focus on Rural Infrastructure
After launching schemes to boost financial inclusion and reduce digital divide, the government is all set to begin work on developing rural infrastructure in the country in a bid to spur growth and perk up investments.
The government is making a "realistic assessment" of how many rural infrastructure projects like roads, bridges, housing, etc, can be accomplished in the current financial year under the existing allocation, sources said.
"Accordingly all the departments have been asked to prepare a plan of the rural infrastructure projects under their mandate and their status and completion schedule," they added.
Government's aim is to connect all the 600 districts and about six lakh villages through roads and bridges and Internet connectivity that would help in growth and development and improve investment flows in farm sector, rural infrastructure and housing in villages, they said.
"Concentrating on rural infrastructure will further help in increasing capital formation in agriculture, which is the key to developing the rural economy," they added.
The government has allocated over Rs 14,000 crore for the construction of rural roads and bridges in this fiscal.
Besides, the National Rural Livelihood Mission (NRLM) has been allocated Rs 4,000 crore and the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme has an allocation of Rs 34,000 crore.
Also the central Plan outlay for 2014-15 of Department of Rural Development is Rs 80,043 crore, which includes special programmes for employment, Housing, roads & bridges and social security & welfare.
"The idea is for these rural infrastructure schemes to run parallel to the Pradhan Mantri Jan-Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) and the Digital India Programme to get the best possible results," sources said.
- PM Inaugurates India's Longest Bridge in Assam
- Wreckage Of Missing Sukhoi Fighter Jet Found
- Modi Govt Should Rethink NITI Aayog Existence: RSS trade union
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' to release in China
- Angry Over Amit Shah's Comment, Telangana CM Says No Final Decision On Supporting BJP For President Post
- Indian Woman Uzma, Who Was Forced to Marry Pakistani Man, Returns Home, Swaraj Calls Her 'India's Daughter'
- Malayali Man Brings His Pakistani Lover And Her Parents to India With Fake Docs, All Detained in Bengaluru
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10