Abdul Kalam Suggests Setting Up Libraries at Homes
Former President A P J Abdul Kalam today suggested creating library in every house to encourage reading habit among family members.
"Reading habit would help to create a good atmosphere in the house and give a chance among family members to have a healthy discussion on common topics, which is essential for maintaining good harmony", he said inaugurating the 17th National Convention on "Knowledge, Library and Information Networking", organised jointly by Delhi based Developing Library Network (DELNET) and French Institute of Puducherry here.
The reach of home libraries could be enhanced by integrating them with mobile platforms enabled m.Libraries, Kalam said.
"With India having more than 700 million mobile subscribers, we can create mobile based books which could be shared by m-libraries across the nation."
With advanced linguistic translation and processing power available in mobile phones, we can develop real time translation facilities by which any book can be translated in any language by the mobile application itself, he said.
"We can also enable voice over for these books so that people with visual impairment or limited reading ability can access the wealth of books and libraries", he said, adding, "by this, we can truly transcend barriers of language, distance, cost and even reading ability and make books reach the last person of the nation".
Dr H K Kaul, Director, DELNET, said the organisation has around 5000 libraries as its members.
Delegates from within the country and abroad are participating in the three day convention.
- FM Readied Ground To Make Funding Anonymous
- More Communists Died Than Sanghs: Yechury
- Akhilesh's Gomti Project Under CMs Scanner
- India Will be The World's Youngest Country by 2020, With an Average Age of 29
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Parliament Passes Bill To Decriminalise Suicide Attempts By Mentally-Ill People
- Australian Police To Probe If Attack On Kerala Man Was 'Racially-Based'
- Rajya Sabha Will Discuss Aadhaar Being Made Mandatory In Government Schemes On Wednesday
- SC Reserves Verdict On The Appeals Filed By Death Row Convicts In December 16 Gangrape Case
- Assembly Polls 2017: Rajya Sabha To Discuss Conduct Of Goa Governor On Wednesday
- Government Says Delhi And Faridabad Among Top 5 Cities With Worst Air Pollution
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Sunil Grover Announces New Gig Amidst Tussle With Kapil Sharma
- Ice-Cream Wars: Amul Defends TV Commercial, Says Hindustan Unilever Trying To Frighten It
- Assault on Air India Official: Sena MP Gaikwad Leaves Train Midway, Untraceable
- Gujarat: One Dead, Six Injured in Communal Clash in Patan District