Abbey Road Zebra Crossing to Get Traffic Warden
Fans may soon find it difficult to recreate their 'Beatles' moment as local councillors are planning to introduce a traffic warden at the famous Abbey Road zebra crossing.
The crossing in west London was made famous after the Fab Four --John Lennon, a bare-foot Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and George Harrison -- posed there outside Abbey Road studios for the cover of their 11th album on August 8, 1969.
But the crossing has been something of a menace as fans flock in great numbers every year and try to replicate the famous moment during busy traffic, reported Daily Mirror.
"It's always been a bit of an issue. It's a residential area, and it's not geared to receiving thousands and thousands of people - so it's quite hard to get some tangible solutions.
"Obviously we don't want to be spoil-sports - we are really proud of our musical heritage. I've set things in motion to have a lollipop lady or man there. They will act as the eyes and ears for us, and for when there's double parking.
"I've seen huge double-decker buses parking on double yellow lines right outside the studio, causing total chaos to traffic and causing danger to people trying to get their photograph. It would be good to have somebody there permanently," Westminster City councillor Lindsey Hall told the newspaper.
Hall said the traffic warden will try not to make it difficult for fans to pose for pictures, provided they don't endanger the safety.
"Obviously it might spoil the snap. It's a question of ensuring that the traffic has been warned sufficiently, so those people are safe and can get the picture.
"I think we've got to try and do something, because there is always the fear that something might go wrong and somebody will be hurt."
- Stone-Pelters Should Fire Weapons, Then I Could Do What I Want: Rawat
- Impose Governor's Rule If J&K Is To Be Saved: Farooq Abdullah
- Narada Journalists Threaten Hunger Strike Over Dues
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- 14 Men Molest 2 Women, Posts Video On The Social Media
- Defending The Use of 'Human Shield', General Bipin Rawat Says 'Dirty War' In Kashmir Has To Be Fought With 'Innovative Ways'
- After Rahul, Now Akhilesh Denied Entry to Violence-Hit Saharanpur
- Three Booked For Abducting, Raping Minor Girl In Rajasthan
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10