Aamir Khan Launches Waste Free Jodhpur Campaign
Bollywood actor Aamir Khan today launched ambitious waste collection project in the city and said that waste management was the first thing that comes to the mind when we think of various urban problems.
The actor, who launched 'Waste Free Jodhpur' project from the Umaid Singh Stadium here, said waste accumulation was one of the biggest menaces of the urban India.
"I wish I could launch such a drive in Mumbai, but I am happy that Jodhpur took this initiative and expressed its determination to deal with one of the biggest menaces of the urban India," Khan said.
He also announced a donation of Rs 11 lakh for the project and wished it to be a huge success.
Khan also expressed desire to associate with the drive and replicate in other cities.
The actor, who has taken up the issue of waste management in one of the episodes of his acclaimed serial 'Satyamev Jayate', was invited by the administration of Jodhpur to launch the project.
"When one thinks of solution to various urban problems, the waste management comes first," he said.
"There will be hurdles but this fight has to be won and there cannot be any better occasion than the Independence Day that we exhibited determination to get freedom from waste," Khan said.
Recalling his episode on the subject, Khan said: "During my programme I learnt how to see waste as an asset and make the best use of it".
The administration of Jodhpur and the municipal corporation have set a target to make the city free from garbage in 18 months.
He also administered a pledge of clean and green Jodhpur to the audience and flagged off the fleet of battery operated rickshaws, which will go the wards of the city and collect the garbage.
An expert agency from Hyderabad has been roped in for the project. "We have made efforts to make this drive a joint initiative in which not only JMC, but voluntary and social organisations of the city, restaurant and food outlet owners and the common man will also participate," said CEO of Jodhpur Municipal Corporation Hari Singh.
- Seven Pak Rangers Killed, One Terrorist Shot Down in Retaliatory Firing at IB in Kathua: BSF
- IS Jihadists Attack Iraq's Kirkuk in Mosul Diversion, 16 Dead
- SC Tightens Noose Around BCCI, Chokes Funds to State Units
- Govt Assures Prompt Action on ATM Card Data Breach
- Trump's National Political Director 'Steps Back' From Campaign
- Five Naval Men Held for Attacking Youth in Goa
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- This 'Chaiwala' From Pakistan First Broke The Internet; Now He Has A Modelling Contract
- Daily Curator: How To Burn A Hole In Your Food Pipe And Other Stories
- Watch: Jack Reacher-Never Go Back Trailer
- No Need for Comments After Varun's Clarification: BJP
- USA: Twitter, Spotify Disrupted as Internet Provider Reports Attack
- Sheena Bora Case: CBI Files Second Supplementary Charge Sheet
- Wipro Q2 Net Profit Dips 7.6% at Rs 2,070 Crore
- BJP Demands NIA Probe Into Killings of RSS, Party Activists
- Akhilesh Skips Meet Where Shivpal Declares Him CM Nominee
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Notice to Katju on Petition Against His Blog Post on Beef
- Following Rajnath Singh's Orders, Delhi Police Forms SIT to Trace Missing JNU Student
- Discriminatory Practises Cannot Be Held Integral to Freedom of Religion: Law Minister on Triple Talaq
- Congress' Rita Bahuguna Joins BJP, Hits Out at Rahul for 'Khoon Ki Dalali'