Aamir Khan Launches Waste Free Jodhpur Campaign
Bollywood actor Aamir Khan today launched ambitious waste collection project in the city and said that waste management was the first thing that comes to the mind when we think of various urban problems.
The actor, who launched 'Waste Free Jodhpur' project from the Umaid Singh Stadium here, said waste accumulation was one of the biggest menaces of the urban India.
"I wish I could launch such a drive in Mumbai, but I am happy that Jodhpur took this initiative and expressed its determination to deal with one of the biggest menaces of the urban India," Khan said.
He also announced a donation of Rs 11 lakh for the project and wished it to be a huge success.
Khan also expressed desire to associate with the drive and replicate in other cities.
The actor, who has taken up the issue of waste management in one of the episodes of his acclaimed serial 'Satyamev Jayate', was invited by the administration of Jodhpur to launch the project.
"When one thinks of solution to various urban problems, the waste management comes first," he said.
"There will be hurdles but this fight has to be won and there cannot be any better occasion than the Independence Day that we exhibited determination to get freedom from waste," Khan said.
Recalling his episode on the subject, Khan said: "During my programme I learnt how to see waste as an asset and make the best use of it".
The administration of Jodhpur and the municipal corporation have set a target to make the city free from garbage in 18 months.
He also administered a pledge of clean and green Jodhpur to the audience and flagged off the fleet of battery operated rickshaws, which will go the wards of the city and collect the garbage.
An expert agency from Hyderabad has been roped in for the project. "We have made efforts to make this drive a joint initiative in which not only JMC, but voluntary and social organisations of the city, restaurant and food outlet owners and the common man will also participate," said CEO of Jodhpur Municipal Corporation Hari Singh.
- Amma's Niece Deepa Launches Political Forum
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Kim Jong-Nam Was Killed By Lethal VX Nerve Agent
- 5 Crore Indians Suffer From Depression
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- On Jayalalithaa's 69th Birth Anniversary, Niece Deepa Launches 'MGR AMMA Deepa Forum'
- Labourers In Haryana To Get Breakfast For Rs 5, Full Meal For Rs 10
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Man Sitting On Indefinite Hunger Strike Gets Married At The Protest Site
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events
- Female Intruder From Pakistan Shot Dead, Another Arrested By The BSF
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman