Aamir Khan Launches Waste Free Jodhpur Campaign
Bollywood actor Aamir Khan today launched ambitious waste collection project in the city and said that waste management was the first thing that comes to the mind when we think of various urban problems.
The actor, who launched 'Waste Free Jodhpur' project from the Umaid Singh Stadium here, said waste accumulation was one of the biggest menaces of the urban India.
"I wish I could launch such a drive in Mumbai, but I am happy that Jodhpur took this initiative and expressed its determination to deal with one of the biggest menaces of the urban India," Khan said.
He also announced a donation of Rs 11 lakh for the project and wished it to be a huge success.
Khan also expressed desire to associate with the drive and replicate in other cities.
The actor, who has taken up the issue of waste management in one of the episodes of his acclaimed serial 'Satyamev Jayate', was invited by the administration of Jodhpur to launch the project.
"When one thinks of solution to various urban problems, the waste management comes first," he said.
"There will be hurdles but this fight has to be won and there cannot be any better occasion than the Independence Day that we exhibited determination to get freedom from waste," Khan said.
Recalling his episode on the subject, Khan said: "During my programme I learnt how to see waste as an asset and make the best use of it".
The administration of Jodhpur and the municipal corporation have set a target to make the city free from garbage in 18 months.
He also administered a pledge of clean and green Jodhpur to the audience and flagged off the fleet of battery operated rickshaws, which will go the wards of the city and collect the garbage.
An expert agency from Hyderabad has been roped in for the project. "We have made efforts to make this drive a joint initiative in which not only JMC, but voluntary and social organisations of the city, restaurant and food outlet owners and the common man will also participate," said CEO of Jodhpur Municipal Corporation Hari Singh.
- CBI Court to Frame Charges Against Advani, Others
- Cyclone Mora Hits B'desh, India On High Alert
- 'Had A Good Interaction,' Says PM Modi After Meeting German Chancellor Merkel
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10