A Week After Floods, 71,178 People Still Marooned in Odisha
A week after floods caused by the Mahanadi river system, 71,178 persons remained marooned in 62 villages, even as the toll mounted to 47, official sources said.
Of the 71,178 persons still marooned, 67,263 belong to Puri where flood water inundated 59 villages, Deputy Relief Commissioner Prabhat Mohapatra said.
The toll in the recent floods mounted to 47 with one more death being confirmed in Puri district, he said, adding 45,953 houses had been damaged in the flood.
Meanwhile, though the water level in most of the rivers were receding, rivers like Subarnarekha and Budhabalang in northern region were swollen.
The flood water of Subarnarekha and Budhabalang inundated some villages in Baliapal and Bhigrai blocks in Balasore district.
Meanwhile, a report from agriculture department said 12 of the 30 districts in the state have received above 19 per cent rainfall, while the downpour was normal in 17 districts. There was deficit rainfall in Malkangiri district in the southern region.
FROM OUTLOOKCover StoryFor many, the worst may well be over. For several others, however, this may just be the beginning...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBReportageDebt trapped Vijesh Chaturvedi of Rewa district inmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESItanagar, July 23 (PTI) Flood situation in Arunachmore from WIRES>>>
- Patient Shoots Doctor at Berlin Hospital, Kills Self: Police
- Irom Sharmila to Call Off Hunger Strike After 16 Years
- Devas-Antrix Deal: India Loses Arbitration Case at the Hague
- Four Militants Killed, Another Apprehended in Kupwara
- Flipkart Acquires Jabong From Global Fashion Group
- Mass Attack Bid Foiled in Bangladesh, Nine Militants Killed
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Daily Curator: Oh Non! #NiceAttack
- AAP Protests Near Rajnath's House Over Women's Safety
- Dadri Lynching: Akhlaq's Family to Move Allahabad High Court
- Use of Pellet Guns Will Further Alienate People in J&K: Azad
- Court Dismisses AAP MLA Khan's Bail, Sends Him to Jail
- CCI Seeks Details of Spectrum Trading Deals From Operators
- India Abstains From Voting to Grant Consultative Status to CPJ
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED