A Week After Floods, 71,178 People Still Marooned in Odisha
A week after floods caused by the Mahanadi river system, 71,178 persons remained marooned in 62 villages, even as the toll mounted to 47, official sources said.
Of the 71,178 persons still marooned, 67,263 belong to Puri where flood water inundated 59 villages, Deputy Relief Commissioner Prabhat Mohapatra said.
The toll in the recent floods mounted to 47 with one more death being confirmed in Puri district, he said, adding 45,953 houses had been damaged in the flood.
Meanwhile, though the water level in most of the rivers were receding, rivers like Subarnarekha and Budhabalang in northern region were swollen.
The flood water of Subarnarekha and Budhabalang inundated some villages in Baliapal and Bhigrai blocks in Balasore district.
Meanwhile, a report from agriculture department said 12 of the 30 districts in the state have received above 19 per cent rainfall, while the downpour was normal in 17 districts. There was deficit rainfall in Malkangiri district in the southern region.
- Samsung Heir Indicted For Bribery, Embezzlement
- Uber Asks Top Executive To Go For Hiding Sexual Harassment Charge
- Ringing Bells Manager Arrested For Fraud
- 'Have Killed Iranians': Kansas Shooter Told Bartender
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- OECD Cuts India's Growth to 7%, Says India a Star Performer
- 'It's About The Freedom To Coexist Yet Disagree':Hundreds Participate In DU Protest March Against ABVP
- Shooter Jitu Rai Wins Bronze in ISSF World Cup
- FIR Registered Against Unknown Persons In Connection With The Case Of Kargil Martyr's Daughter
- RBI Sets Up Panel to Review Cyber Threats
- Reliance Jio's Tariff Aggressive, Unsustainable, Says Airtel's Sunil Mittal
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Delhi Court Acquits 2 In 2005 Serial Blasts, Sentences Third Accused To 10-Year Jail Term
- Govt Plans Chaupals To Link Weaker Sections To Cashless System
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events