85% Pictorial Warning on Tobacco Products in Force From 1st April
Tobacco products manufactured from today onwards will carry larger pictorial warnings covering 85 per cent of the display area on the packet as the Centre's notification in this regard went into force.
The Health Ministry's notification of September 24, 2015, for implementation of the Cigarettes and Other Tobacco Products (Packaging and Labelling) Amendment Rules, 2014, prescribing larger pictorial warnings on tobacco products came into force today.
Notwithstanding a parliamentary panel's recommendation which had described the government's proposal as "too harsh" and wanted a drastic reduction in the size of the visual warning, the Centre went ahead with the larger pictorial warnings.
The Parliamentary Committee on Subordinate Legislation had recommended that the message occupy 50 per cent of the space.
"The committee is of the view that in order to have a balanced approach, the warning on cigarette packets should be 50 per cent on both sides of the principal display area instead of 85 per cent of the principal display area as it will be too harsh and result in the flooding of illicit cigarettes in the country," the committee said in the report.
Health Ministry had also told the Rajasthan High Court that its legislative authority is examining the observations/ recommendations of the Parliamentary Committee on Subordinate Legislation.
The stand had evoked sharp criticism from MPs and health experts. In its report submitted to Lok Sabha, committee chairman Dilip Gandhi justified the recommendations, saying it was urged that the size of the warnings be increased from the present 40 to 50 per cent.
The ministry had made a commitment to the Rajasthan High Court on March 28 that it will implement the said rules from April 1, 2016.
- France Votes in Presidential Election
- PIL in HC for Ban on 66 Pesticides
- Liquor Ban Will Unite Religions: Nitish Kumar
- GST Great Illustration of Cooperative Federalism, Says PM Modi
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MCD Election: Exit Polls Predict Sweep for BJP, Setback for AAP
- MCD Election: SEC to Issue Memos to Officials for Delay in Sending Data
- MCD Election: Polling Ends Peacefully, Turnout Likely to Cross 54%
- Jaitley Flags H-1B Visa Concerns with US Treasury Secy
- Delhi Gangrape Convicts Challenged the High Court
- US Accuses TCS, Infosys of Violating H-1B Visa Norms
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- 'How Can You Make Aadhaar Mandatory When We Passed An Order To Make It Optional', SC Asks Centre
- Muslims Don't Vote For Us, But We Gave Them 'Proper Sanctity': Ravi Shankar Prasad
- New UP DGP Sulkhan Singh Takes Charge, Vows to Crush 'Goondagardi'
- UP DGP Javeed Ahmed Shunted Out to Head PAC, 12 IPS Officers Transferred