80% Reduction in Militancy Related Incidents in J&K: Omar
Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah today said there has been 80 per cent reduction in militancy related incidents in the state during the last five-and-a-half years.
"There has been an improvement in peace and security situation in the state during the last more than five and a half years. 80 per cent reduction has been achieved in the militancy related incidents," the Chief Minister said in his Independence Day message.
Omar said all schools and hospitals, which had been occupied by security forces, have been vacated.
"1000 private buildings, 300 government buildings, 40 hotels and 30 industrial units have also been cleared from the security forces' occupation," he said.
Omar said about 350 youth have returned to the state from Pakistan Occupied Kashmir under his government's rehabilitation policy.
"Rehabilitation policy has been introduced for the youth who had crossed the LoC and wanted to return back to normal life. 350 youth have returned under this policy so far," he said.
The Chief Minister said Passport Policy has been made people-friendly and No Objection Certificates for three lakh passports had been accorded during the last five years.
"1850 youth have been benefited under the Amnesty Policy. Warrants under Public Safety Act (PSA) have been brought down 50 per cent in last about six years from 2500 in 2008 to 1420 by now," he said.
He said as many as 54 bunkers have also been removed from Srinagar city during the tenure of his government so far. Omar said with the improvement in the situation, the number of tourists visiting the state had increased year after year.
"During the period from 2003-2008, 24 lakh tourists visited Kashmir as against 50 lakhs during the period from 2008-2014 so far, which is likely to go up to 55 lakhs by the end of the year," he said.
The Chief Minister said return of migrant Kashmiri Pandits to their native land has been his cherished desire and his government worked with the Union Government to provide a befitting economic package to the community.
"My government has given a new proposal to the Union Government for enhancing economic package for Kashmiri Pandits. I hope that the new government at the Centre would take early necessary action in this regard," he said.
On the occasion, the chief minister presented an overview of the major achievements registered his government during last about six years in the main sectors of roads, water supply, power, education and health.
He also referred to the growth and improvement registered in agriculture, horticulture and allied sectors and listed the measures taken for youth welfare, empowerment of people and curbing the corruption.
- DMK Objects to Jayalalithaa's Portraits
- 'I Am Not Scared Of ABVP', DU Student And Kargil Martyr's Daughter's Facebook Post Goes Viral Sends Strong Message To ABVP
- 'Delhi Police Has Become Agent of BJP'
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Censor Board Responsible for Preserving India's Culture: Pahlaj Nihalani
- Ramjas Violence: College Forms Panel to Probe Students' Role
- 'Rs 10 Lakh Each Paid To 141 Families Of Manual Scavengers': TN Govt Tells Madras HC
- China's Bad Loans In 2016 Came Up To A Whopping USD 220 Billion
- Donkeys, Pigeons And Even Kasab: Morsels Of Madness From Uttar Pradesh
- DCW Orders Probe into Alleged Attacks on Women by Cops at DU
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman