68th Indian Independence Day Celebrated in Canada
Indo-Canadians along Canadian leaders celebrated India's 68th Independence Day here with cultural performances and a colourful parade. Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne said that India is a nation with a vibrant economy and a culture that resonates across the global community.
"Our province is proud to be home to one of the largest and most dynamic Indo Canadian communities in the country. It is a wonderful celebration and I wish you a safe and happy Independence Day," she said yesterday while addressing the Independence Day celebrations.
"Members of Indo-Canadian community have made their mark in business, public service, business, medicine, academic field and in virtually every aspect of province's life. You have strengthened our province and the country through your hard work and cultural diversity," the Premier said.
The programme was organised by Panorama India which is an umbrella body of various Indo-Canadian organisations.
High Commissioner of India to Canada Nirmal Verma, hoisted the tri-colour Indian flag and unveiled the Panorama India souvenir.
He said India and Ontario shared deep bonds of friendship and common values. He also praised the Indo-Canadian community for their contribution in strengthening India-Canada relations.
The Premier also said that, "Members of Indo-Canadian community have made their mark in business, public service, business, medicine, academic field and in virtually every aspect of province's life. You have strengthened our province and the country through your hard work."
Highlighting deepening relations between India and the largest Canadian province, she said Ontario and India have a lot in common as both were models of democracy and multiculturalism.
Lauding the contributions made by the Indo-Canadians in strengthening bilateral ties, the Premier said Ontario is "fortunate to have half a million people who trace their origin to India."
- Major Who Tied Civilian To Army Jeep, Awarded
- Indian Cabbie Abused And Assaulted In Australia
- Rawal Wants Arundhati Roy Tied To Army Jeep Instead Of Stone-Pelters
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10