68th Indian Independence Day Celebrated in Canada
Indo-Canadians along Canadian leaders celebrated India's 68th Independence Day here with cultural performances and a colourful parade. Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne said that India is a nation with a vibrant economy and a culture that resonates across the global community.
"Our province is proud to be home to one of the largest and most dynamic Indo Canadian communities in the country. It is a wonderful celebration and I wish you a safe and happy Independence Day," she said yesterday while addressing the Independence Day celebrations.
"Members of Indo-Canadian community have made their mark in business, public service, business, medicine, academic field and in virtually every aspect of province's life. You have strengthened our province and the country through your hard work and cultural diversity," the Premier said.
The programme was organised by Panorama India which is an umbrella body of various Indo-Canadian organisations.
High Commissioner of India to Canada Nirmal Verma, hoisted the tri-colour Indian flag and unveiled the Panorama India souvenir.
He said India and Ontario shared deep bonds of friendship and common values. He also praised the Indo-Canadian community for their contribution in strengthening India-Canada relations.
The Premier also said that, "Members of Indo-Canadian community have made their mark in business, public service, business, medicine, academic field and in virtually every aspect of province's life. You have strengthened our province and the country through your hard work."
Highlighting deepening relations between India and the largest Canadian province, she said Ontario and India have a lot in common as both were models of democracy and multiculturalism.
Lauding the contributions made by the Indo-Canadians in strengthening bilateral ties, the Premier said Ontario is "fortunate to have half a million people who trace their origin to India."
FROM OUTLOOKFirst Decade 1947-57FOR a nation learning to walk, Nehru was guide, philosopher and king...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBFor the recordFellow citizens: 1. On the eve of sixty-ninth annimore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESAn anonymous phone call threatening that a bomb hamore from WIRES>>>
- Govt Plans to Further Liberalize Visa Regime to Boost Tourism: Swaraj
- Teesta Setalvad Liable for Mixing Religion With Politics: HRD Panel
- SP Appears on Brink of Split as CM Sacks Shivpal, Mulayam Expels Ramgopal
- Now, Adult Film Star Accuses Trump of Sexual Harassment
- BSF Jawan Gurnam Singh Injured in Pak Attack Succumbs to Injuries
- ADHM Row: Army Upset Over Being Dragged Into Film Politics, Rejects Forced Donation
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- This 'Chaiwala' From Pakistan First Broke The Internet; Now He Has A Modelling Contract
- Daily Curator: How To Burn A Hole In Your Food Pipe And Other Stories
- Kabaddi Player Rohit Kumar Sent to Judicial Custody in Wife's Suicide Case
- Not Just a Business Partner, But an Ally Who Stood By India in its Darkest Hours: Russia
- Two Explosions Hit Japanese City in Suspected Suicide Bombing, One Killed
- My Removal From Govt an Attempt to Weaken SP Leadership: Shivpal
- Reports Say Queen Elizabeth Faces Massive Post-Brexit Losses
- Rajnath Singh Leaves for Three-Day Visit to Bahrain, to Raise Pak Issue
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- BJP Wants To Make India a Hindu Rashtra, Owaisi Attacks PM for His 'Jai Shri Ram' Greeting
- Injected With Petrol Into Their Private Parts, UP Teenagers Still Await Surgery
- Scenes With Ranbir in Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Not Frivolous Sensuality: Aishwarya
- Muslim Woman Refuses to Accept Triple Talaq Notice by Husband
- Notice to Katju on Petition Against His Blog Post on Beef
- Following Rajnath Singh's Orders, Delhi Police Forms SIT to Trace Missing JNU Student
- Discriminatory Practises Cannot Be Held Integral to Freedom of Religion: Law Minister on Triple Talaq
- Congress' Rita Bahuguna Joins BJP, Hits Out at Rahul for 'Khoon Ki Dalali'