68th Indian Independence Day Celebrated in Canada
Indo-Canadians along Canadian leaders celebrated India's 68th Independence Day here with cultural performances and a colourful parade. Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne said that India is a nation with a vibrant economy and a culture that resonates across the global community.
"Our province is proud to be home to one of the largest and most dynamic Indo Canadian communities in the country. It is a wonderful celebration and I wish you a safe and happy Independence Day," she said yesterday while addressing the Independence Day celebrations.
"Members of Indo-Canadian community have made their mark in business, public service, business, medicine, academic field and in virtually every aspect of province's life. You have strengthened our province and the country through your hard work and cultural diversity," the Premier said.
The programme was organised by Panorama India which is an umbrella body of various Indo-Canadian organisations.
High Commissioner of India to Canada Nirmal Verma, hoisted the tri-colour Indian flag and unveiled the Panorama India souvenir.
He said India and Ontario shared deep bonds of friendship and common values. He also praised the Indo-Canadian community for their contribution in strengthening India-Canada relations.
The Premier also said that, "Members of Indo-Canadian community have made their mark in business, public service, business, medicine, academic field and in virtually every aspect of province's life. You have strengthened our province and the country through your hard work."
Highlighting deepening relations between India and the largest Canadian province, she said Ontario and India have a lot in common as both were models of democracy and multiculturalism.
Lauding the contributions made by the Indo-Canadians in strengthening bilateral ties, the Premier said Ontario is "fortunate to have half a million people who trace their origin to India."
FROM OUTLOOKFirst Decade 1947-57FOR a nation learning to walk, Nehru was guide, philosopher and king...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBFor the recordFellow citizens: 1. On the eve of sixty-ninth annimore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESAn anonymous phone call threatening that a bomb hamore from WIRES>>>
- Pak Balochistan Province Assembly Resolution Condemns Modi
- PM's Fresh Bid on Kashmir: Talks of 'Ekta' And 'Mamata'
- JNU Rape Case: Varsity Suspends Accused Scholar
- Curfew in Some Parts of Srinagar, Two Towns in South Kashmir
- Trump Vows to Begin Deportations Immediately If Sworn In
- Pak: LeJ Terrorists Involved in Lanka Cricket Team Attack Killed
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED