68th Indian Independence Day Celebrated in Canada
Indo-Canadians along Canadian leaders celebrated India's 68th Independence Day here with cultural performances and a colourful parade. Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne said that India is a nation with a vibrant economy and a culture that resonates across the global community.
"Our province is proud to be home to one of the largest and most dynamic Indo Canadian communities in the country. It is a wonderful celebration and I wish you a safe and happy Independence Day," she said yesterday while addressing the Independence Day celebrations.
"Members of Indo-Canadian community have made their mark in business, public service, business, medicine, academic field and in virtually every aspect of province's life. You have strengthened our province and the country through your hard work and cultural diversity," the Premier said.
The programme was organised by Panorama India which is an umbrella body of various Indo-Canadian organisations.
High Commissioner of India to Canada Nirmal Verma, hoisted the tri-colour Indian flag and unveiled the Panorama India souvenir.
He said India and Ontario shared deep bonds of friendship and common values. He also praised the Indo-Canadian community for their contribution in strengthening India-Canada relations.
The Premier also said that, "Members of Indo-Canadian community have made their mark in business, public service, business, medicine, academic field and in virtually every aspect of province's life. You have strengthened our province and the country through your hard work."
Highlighting deepening relations between India and the largest Canadian province, she said Ontario and India have a lot in common as both were models of democracy and multiculturalism.
Lauding the contributions made by the Indo-Canadians in strengthening bilateral ties, the Premier said Ontario is "fortunate to have half a million people who trace their origin to India."
- Amma's Niece Deepa Launches Political Forum
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Kim Jong-Nam Was Killed By Lethal VX Nerve Agent
- 5 Crore Indians Suffer From Depression
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- On Jayalalithaa's 69th Birth Anniversary, Niece Deepa Launches 'MGR AMMA Deepa Forum'
- Labourers In Haryana To Get Breakfast For Rs 5, Full Meal For Rs 10
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Man Sitting On Indefinite Hunger Strike Gets Married At The Protest Site
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events
- Female Intruder From Pakistan Shot Dead, Another Arrested By The BSF
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman