60 Landmines Found in Bihar, Plan to Attack Forces Foiled
Police today unearthed 60 landmines connected in a series from Bhimbandh forest in Munger district, foiling an attempt by Maoists to attack security forces engaged in anti-naxal operations in the area.
Munger SP Barun Kumar Sinha said the landmines were recovered during combing operation in the dense forest after receiving intelligence inputs.
"Each of the recovered landmines weighs over 5 kg. They were freshly laid and connected together in a stretch of around 600 metres in Sitpania area of Bhimbandh forest. Security forces often take this route during their movement and operations," Sinha said.
The SP said the explosives could have been laid to target 131st battalion of CRPF, which has camps in the area.
An entire company or convoy of security forces could have been perished in the simultaneous explosion, he said.
"During the combing operation, the landmine detector carried by one of our personnel beeped. They took out the landmine, and were taken aback finding that it was just a part of a series consisting of total 60 landmines," Sinha added.
STF Additional SP Alok said the landmines were laid in a way similar to the ones used by Maoists in Dantewada region of Chhattisgarh.
The Maoists could have also fired on them after triggering the blast, Alok added.
The STF officer said a 40 kg IED was discovered from Chormara area of Bhimbandh. It could have destroyed armoured and anti-landmine vehicles used by the security forces.
The police have started defusing all the landmines.
- 'Killing In The Name Of Gau Bhakti Is Unacceptable': PM
- IndiGo Shows Interest In Buying Stake In Air India
- July 1 Not Last Date For Linking Aadhaar With PAN
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED