527 Jawans Died Since 2010 While Manning Indo-China Border
As many has 527 ITBP personnel have died since 2010 while manning the Indo-China border in Ladakh and other sectors, Home Minister Rajnath Singh informed Rajya Sabha today.
Singh said during Question Hour that there has been only one death due to high altitude diseases during the past five years.
Facilities and equipment on par with Army are been provided to ITBP personnel manning high altitudes, he said.
As many as 109 ITBP personnel died in 2010, 96 in 2011, 118 in 2012 and 123 in 2013. 81 personnel have died so far in 2014.
"Considering the fact that in the last five years only one case of death occurred because of the High Altitude Diseases like Pulmonary Edema/Cerebral Edema, the figure cannot be said to be high," Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju said.
He said ITBP personnel are posted at high altitudes only for three months and are given duties elsewhere for the remaining nine months of the year.
To a separate question, Labour Minister Narendra Singh Tomar said the government will consider amending the Inter-State Migrant Workmen (Regulation of Employment and Conditions of Service) Act of 1979 to protect rights and livelihood of migrant labourers.
A Bill to amend the Act was introduced in Parliament in 2011 and was referred to Parliament Standing Committee, he said. "Recommendations made by the Committee are under consideration of the government," he said.
The Act is enforced by the appropriate governments for protecting migrant workers who are recruited by or through a contractor in one state under an agreement or other arrangement for employment in an establishment in another state.
- Kim Jong-Nam Was Killed By Lethal VX Nerve Agent
- 5 Crore Indians Suffer From Depression
- Kerala To Launch First Sex Offenders Registry
- Gujarat To Ban Hookah Bars
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Khalsa College Postpones Drama Event Till ABVP Drama Pacifies
- India Likely to Be Less Affected by Global Economic Shocks: IMF
- Ticket Collector Bites Off Senior Officer's Nose In A Fit Of Rage
- 60-Year-Old Poet Thrashed For Stopping DTC Bus Conductor From Urinating On Road
- 130 Bodies Of Fighters Beheaded By Rival Jihadists Found in Syria Mass Graves
- BMC Mayor Will Be From Our Party, BJP Used Deceitful Means to Destabilise Our Rule: Sena
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman