527 Jawans Died Since 2010 While Manning Indo-China Border
As many has 527 ITBP personnel have died since 2010 while manning the Indo-China border in Ladakh and other sectors, Home Minister Rajnath Singh informed Rajya Sabha today.
Singh said during Question Hour that there has been only one death due to high altitude diseases during the past five years.
Facilities and equipment on par with Army are been provided to ITBP personnel manning high altitudes, he said.
As many as 109 ITBP personnel died in 2010, 96 in 2011, 118 in 2012 and 123 in 2013. 81 personnel have died so far in 2014.
"Considering the fact that in the last five years only one case of death occurred because of the High Altitude Diseases like Pulmonary Edema/Cerebral Edema, the figure cannot be said to be high," Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju said.
He said ITBP personnel are posted at high altitudes only for three months and are given duties elsewhere for the remaining nine months of the year.
To a separate question, Labour Minister Narendra Singh Tomar said the government will consider amending the Inter-State Migrant Workmen (Regulation of Employment and Conditions of Service) Act of 1979 to protect rights and livelihood of migrant labourers.
A Bill to amend the Act was introduced in Parliament in 2011 and was referred to Parliament Standing Committee, he said. "Recommendations made by the Committee are under consideration of the government," he said.
The Act is enforced by the appropriate governments for protecting migrant workers who are recruited by or through a contractor in one state under an agreement or other arrangement for employment in an establishment in another state.
- Major Who Tied Civilian To Army Jeep, Awarded
- Indian Cabbie Abused And Assaulted In Australia
- Rawal Wants Arundhati Roy Tied To Army Jeep Instead Of Stone-Pelters
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10