40% ATMs Recalibrated To Dispense New Notes
As many as 82,500 ATMs, which account for about 40 per cent of cash vending machines in the country, have been recalibrated to dispense new high security currency notes of 500 and 2,000 rupees.
Out of 2.2 lakh ATMs, 82,500 were recalibrated till yesterday evening.
These ATMs have been reset as per the direction of task force set up by the government to expedite the process, Rituraj Sinha, President Cash Logistics Association of India, told PTI.
These have been recalibrated in such a manner that regional balance is maintained while giving priority to rural areas, Sinha, also a member of the task force headed by RBI Deputy Governor S S Mundra, said.
With the recalibration, ATMs are now stocking 50-60 lakh cash and are able to cater to higher demand.
As a result, many ATMs are holding cash longer and queues outside such machines are also getting smaller.
However, before the recalibration, ATMs could hold up to Rs 5 lakh of Rs 100 notes which used to get over very fast.
Since the formation of the task force, RBI, banks and cash logistic companies have been working seamlessly, he said, adding that the progress of recalibration of ATMs demonstrates a synergistic approach.
Cash supply has been streamlined to meet the requirements of ATMs and many such machines at various parts of the country have started working round the clock.
On a daily basis, about 12,000 to 14,000 ATMs are getting recalibrated.
"It is our endeavour to move towards normal ATM functioning by the end of this month," he added.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi had on November 8, in a surprise move, announced demonetisation of 500 and 1,000 rupee notes.
- Forced to Marry Pakistani, Uzma Returns Home, Swaraj Calls Her 'India's Daughter'
- HRD Minister Assures To Declare CBSE Results On Time
- UN Rebuts Pakistan Charge, Says No Evidence Of Attack By The Indian Army On UN
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10