40% ATMs Recalibrated To Dispense New Notes
As many as 82,500 ATMs, which account for about 40 per cent of cash vending machines in the country, have been recalibrated to dispense new high security currency notes of 500 and 2,000 rupees.
Out of 2.2 lakh ATMs, 82,500 were recalibrated till yesterday evening.
These ATMs have been reset as per the direction of task force set up by the government to expedite the process, Rituraj Sinha, President Cash Logistics Association of India, told PTI.
These have been recalibrated in such a manner that regional balance is maintained while giving priority to rural areas, Sinha, also a member of the task force headed by RBI Deputy Governor S S Mundra, said.
With the recalibration, ATMs are now stocking 50-60 lakh cash and are able to cater to higher demand.
As a result, many ATMs are holding cash longer and queues outside such machines are also getting smaller.
However, before the recalibration, ATMs could hold up to Rs 5 lakh of Rs 100 notes which used to get over very fast.
Since the formation of the task force, RBI, banks and cash logistic companies have been working seamlessly, he said, adding that the progress of recalibration of ATMs demonstrates a synergistic approach.
Cash supply has been streamlined to meet the requirements of ATMs and many such machines at various parts of the country have started working round the clock.
On a daily basis, about 12,000 to 14,000 ATMs are getting recalibrated.
"It is our endeavour to move towards normal ATM functioning by the end of this month," he added.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi had on November 8, in a surprise move, announced demonetisation of 500 and 1,000 rupee notes.
- Outlook's Agony Aunt
- 'Mangalam Appointed Receptionist As Reporter'
- But Nikki Haley, India Had Its First Woman Judge Decades Before Your Parents Emigrated To US
- IMD Doubts Authenticity of High Heat Recorded at Bhira
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Congress Leader Jagdish Tytler Refuses To Undergo Lie Detection Test In Connection With 1984 Anti-Sikh Riots Case
- India, South Korea Agree To Deepen Cooperation Through Joint Ventures, Technology Transfer
- Malaysia Says Kim Jong Nam's Body Released to North Korea
- SC to Begin Hearing on Triple Talaq From May 11
- India Refuses to Categorise Attacks on Africans as Racial
- Every Attack on Indians in US Is Not Hate Crime: Sushma Swaraj
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Maternity Bill Gets President's Nod
- Former Hockey Player Aslam Khan Forms RSS-Like Outfit To Help Congress
- Getting Threats for Criticising BJP, Modi, Alleges Historian Ramachandra Guha
- Chinese Media: India Vigilant Against China, Has Chosen Japan As Partner For Country's First High-Speed Railway