40% ATMs Recalibrated To Dispense New Notes
As many as 82,500 ATMs, which account for about 40 per cent of cash vending machines in the country, have been recalibrated to dispense new high security currency notes of 500 and 2,000 rupees.
Out of 2.2 lakh ATMs, 82,500 were recalibrated till yesterday evening.
These ATMs have been reset as per the direction of task force set up by the government to expedite the process, Rituraj Sinha, President Cash Logistics Association of India, told PTI.
These have been recalibrated in such a manner that regional balance is maintained while giving priority to rural areas, Sinha, also a member of the task force headed by RBI Deputy Governor S S Mundra, said.
With the recalibration, ATMs are now stocking 50-60 lakh cash and are able to cater to higher demand.
As a result, many ATMs are holding cash longer and queues outside such machines are also getting smaller.
However, before the recalibration, ATMs could hold up to Rs 5 lakh of Rs 100 notes which used to get over very fast.
Since the formation of the task force, RBI, banks and cash logistic companies have been working seamlessly, he said, adding that the progress of recalibration of ATMs demonstrates a synergistic approach.
Cash supply has been streamlined to meet the requirements of ATMs and many such machines at various parts of the country have started working round the clock.
On a daily basis, about 12,000 to 14,000 ATMs are getting recalibrated.
"It is our endeavour to move towards normal ATM functioning by the end of this month," he added.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi had on November 8, in a surprise move, announced demonetisation of 500 and 1,000 rupee notes.
- Outlook's Agony Aunt
- 2 Indians Die Every Minute Due to Air Pollution: Study
- Soon, Passport Can Be Applied At Post Offices
- NGT Slaps Rs 10Lakh Fine On Noida-Based Water Bottling Unit
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Jet Airways Restores Contact With ATC After German Authorites Send Fighter Jets for Fear Of Hijack
- 61.16 Per Cent Turnout in UP Phase-3: Polling Peaceful
- People Will Take Revenge on BJP For Note Ban: Rahul, Akhilesh
- Ravi Shankar Prasad Dares Congress, SP, BSP to Clarify Stand on Triple Talaq
- UP Polls: Over 55 Per Cent Turnout Till 4 PM
- Mulayam Clarifies No Rift In SP, Confident Akhilesh Will Be CM
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Watch: Delhi College Guard Brutally Beats Street Dog To Death, Case Registered After Video Goes Viral
- Modi Promised 'Acche Din' Like SRK In DDLJ, Ended Up Being Sholay's Gabbar, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Pakistan Senate Passes Landmark Hindu Marriage Bill
- Bangladesh Bans Irrfan Khan Starrer Biopic No Bed of Roses