38,000 Rly Officials Found to Be Involved in Corruption
Around 38,000 Railway officials have been punished for their involvement in various irregularities and corruption in last five years, Railway Minister D V Sadananda Gowda informed Lok Sabha today.
Gowda said during Question Hour that punishments were meted out after conducting probe into 42,000 complaints received by the Railway Ministry from various parts of the country.
"I do not dispute the fact that there is corruption and irregularities in Railways. Of course there is corruption and we are taking all possible steps to check the menace," he said.
Gowda said Rs 682 crore has been recovered by the Railways from various persons who had taken graft of Rs 882 crore.
He said instances of irregularities involving corrupt practices were reported in the form of complaints or unearthed during the course of regular preventive and decoy checks and investigation by an inter-disciplinary vigilance organisation, which has its offices in the Railway Board as well as in all zonal railways and production units.
To another question, Gowda said, "To augment revenues from parcel traffic, Railways have introduced a scheme for leasing of parcel vans. In addition to this, entire capacity of parcel express trains from specific origin-destination is also leased out to the private operators by inviting bids through open tenders."
He said to increase sundry other earnings, various innovative schemes such as bulk advertising rights, vinyl wrapping of trains, onboard infotainment and online booking of retiring rooms through IRCTC website have been started.
The Minister said the vacant land which is not required by Railways for its immediate operational need is utilised for commercial development, wherever feasible, to generate revenue from non-tariff measures through Rail Land Development Authority.
"As a result of steps taken in this direction, earnings of Indian Railways, registered a year on year growth of 5.15 per cent, 14.97 per cent and 33.89 per cent during the last three years," he said.
- Outlook's Agony Aunt
- 2 Indians Die Every Minute Due to Air Pollution: Study
- Soon, Passport Can Be Applied At Post Offices
- NGT Slaps Rs 10Lakh Fine On Noida-Based Water Bottling Unit
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Jet Airways Restores Contact With ATC After German Authorites Send Fighter Jets for Fear Of Hijack
- 61.16 Per Cent Turnout in UP Phase-3: Polling Peaceful
- People Will Take Revenge on BJP For Note Ban: Rahul, Akhilesh
- Ravi Shankar Prasad Dares Congress, SP, BSP to Clarify Stand on Triple Talaq
- UP Polls: Over 55 Per Cent Turnout Till 4 PM
- Mulayam Clarifies No Rift In SP, Confident Akhilesh Will Be CM
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Watch: Delhi College Guard Brutally Beats Street Dog To Death, Case Registered After Video Goes Viral
- Modi Promised 'Acche Din' Like SRK In DDLJ, Ended Up Being Sholay's Gabbar, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Pakistan Senate Passes Landmark Hindu Marriage Bill
- Bangladesh Bans Irrfan Khan Starrer Biopic No Bed of Roses