38,000 Rly Officials Found to Be Involved in Corruption
Around 38,000 Railway officials have been punished for their involvement in various irregularities and corruption in last five years, Railway Minister D V Sadananda Gowda informed Lok Sabha today.
Gowda said during Question Hour that punishments were meted out after conducting probe into 42,000 complaints received by the Railway Ministry from various parts of the country.
"I do not dispute the fact that there is corruption and irregularities in Railways. Of course there is corruption and we are taking all possible steps to check the menace," he said.
Gowda said Rs 682 crore has been recovered by the Railways from various persons who had taken graft of Rs 882 crore.
He said instances of irregularities involving corrupt practices were reported in the form of complaints or unearthed during the course of regular preventive and decoy checks and investigation by an inter-disciplinary vigilance organisation, which has its offices in the Railway Board as well as in all zonal railways and production units.
To another question, Gowda said, "To augment revenues from parcel traffic, Railways have introduced a scheme for leasing of parcel vans. In addition to this, entire capacity of parcel express trains from specific origin-destination is also leased out to the private operators by inviting bids through open tenders."
He said to increase sundry other earnings, various innovative schemes such as bulk advertising rights, vinyl wrapping of trains, onboard infotainment and online booking of retiring rooms through IRCTC website have been started.
The Minister said the vacant land which is not required by Railways for its immediate operational need is utilised for commercial development, wherever feasible, to generate revenue from non-tariff measures through Rail Land Development Authority.
"As a result of steps taken in this direction, earnings of Indian Railways, registered a year on year growth of 5.15 per cent, 14.97 per cent and 33.89 per cent during the last three years," he said.
FROM OUTLOOKRailwaysLack of funds, poor planning, fare disparity Nitish Kumar wants to rid the Railways of its ills...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBDiaryWhile team Great Britain stunned the world by relemore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESKolkata, July 23 (PTI) Union Minister of State formore from WIRES>>>
- Open the Dam Shutters, SC Asks Karnataka to Release 6000 Cusecs of Water to TN
- After Indus Water Treaty, India Will Now Review the Most Favoured Nation Status Given to Pak
- Corruption Accused Ex-Corporate Affairs DG Bansal Commits Suicide Along With Son
- Clinton Puts Trump on Defensive in Fiery First Presidential Debate
- USA: Nine Injured in Shooting at Strip Mall in Houston
- Abandon 'Dream' of Obtaining Kashmir: Swaraj to Pakistan
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Watch: A Poacher's Court Tries To Save Elephants And Rhinos In Africa
- US Bans Many Soaps With Harmful Chemicals, Indians Too at Health Risk
- 6-Year-Old Boy Wonder Cooks Kerala's Puttu for US Audience on Ellen Show
- Bound By Chain Great Dane Starved To Death
- Yashvardhan Sinha Appointed India's High Commissioner to UK
- BSF Orders More Non-Lethal Weapons for Use at Bangladesh Border
- Pathankot on High Alert, Search Operation Launched
- Curfew Relaxed for Six Hours in Kishtwar District of J&K
- India Confronts Pak Envoy With Proof of Uri Attack's Cross Border Origins
- Pakistani Actors Should Condemn Uri Attack: Anupam Kher
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED