38,000 Rly Officials Found to Be Involved in Corruption
Around 38,000 Railway officials have been punished for their involvement in various irregularities and corruption in last five years, Railway Minister D V Sadananda Gowda informed Lok Sabha today.
Gowda said during Question Hour that punishments were meted out after conducting probe into 42,000 complaints received by the Railway Ministry from various parts of the country.
"I do not dispute the fact that there is corruption and irregularities in Railways. Of course there is corruption and we are taking all possible steps to check the menace," he said.
Gowda said Rs 682 crore has been recovered by the Railways from various persons who had taken graft of Rs 882 crore.
He said instances of irregularities involving corrupt practices were reported in the form of complaints or unearthed during the course of regular preventive and decoy checks and investigation by an inter-disciplinary vigilance organisation, which has its offices in the Railway Board as well as in all zonal railways and production units.
To another question, Gowda said, "To augment revenues from parcel traffic, Railways have introduced a scheme for leasing of parcel vans. In addition to this, entire capacity of parcel express trains from specific origin-destination is also leased out to the private operators by inviting bids through open tenders."
He said to increase sundry other earnings, various innovative schemes such as bulk advertising rights, vinyl wrapping of trains, onboard infotainment and online booking of retiring rooms through IRCTC website have been started.
The Minister said the vacant land which is not required by Railways for its immediate operational need is utilised for commercial development, wherever feasible, to generate revenue from non-tariff measures through Rail Land Development Authority.
"As a result of steps taken in this direction, earnings of Indian Railways, registered a year on year growth of 5.15 per cent, 14.97 per cent and 33.89 per cent during the last three years," he said.
FROM OUTLOOKRailwaysLack of funds, poor planning, fare disparity Nitish Kumar wants to rid the Railways of its ills...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBRail DiarySeven of us have either flown in or railroaded tomore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESKolkata, July 23 (PTI) Union Minister of State formore from WIRES>>>
- Texas: One Dead, Multiple Victims in Separate Shootings
- Kashmir Unrest: Toll Mounts to 49 as Curfew Continues
- Yemen Government Accepts UN Peace Deal
- India Will Also Win Hearts With Their Conduct in Rio: Modi
- My Economic Plan Would Create 10 Mn Jobs, Says Clinton
- Khattar to Visit Gurgaon Check to Traffic Woes
- Outlook Cover Story On RSS Trafficking Goes Viral
- Nike's Deepika Video Gets Rural India's YouTube Reply
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- PM Pitches for Technological Solutions to Daily Life Problems
- Tokyo Votes to Elect New Governor After Scandals
- All 16 on Hot Air Balloon Killed in Fiery Crash in Texas
- Bulandshahr Gangrape: 14 People Detained
- Somalia: At Least Nine Killed in Attack on Security Facility
- UP: Kanwariya Run Over by Truck, Irate Pilgrims Damage Vehicles
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED