340 Defence Personnel Killed in Last Three Years: Govt
In the last three years, 340 defence personnel have been killed inside and outside the country, Rajya Sabha was informed today.
Defence Minister Arun Jaitley said 27 Indian Army troops have been killed in ceasefire violations across the Line of Control (LOC) in the last ten years and 523 such violations have taken place in the past three years.
As many as 340 soldiers have been killed inside and outside the country in the last three years, he said answering a written query.
The highest casualty was suffered by the Army as 217 personnel were killed in India and 14 were killed outside the country in UN peacekeeping and other operations.
The Navy also suffered a loss of 89 personnel inside the country while one person lost his life outside.
Answering another query, the Defence Minister said DRDO has not started any project to develop robots who can work like soldiers posted at the border.
"However, DRDO has developed Remotely Operated Vehicle ‘Daksha’, which is an automated mobile platform for multi-purpose payloads. It is an electrically powered state-of-the-art Robot capable of being remotely controlled over a distance of 500 metres line-of-sight and can be utilised continuously for three hours before recharge," he said.
Asked if the Ministry has agreed to hand over the security of Indo-Myanmar border to the BSF, the Minister said, "The Defence Ministry has proposed MHA proposal to assign border guarding responsibility of the Indo-Myanmar border to the BSF subject to certain conditions."
- Major Who Tied Civilian To Army Jeep, Awarded
- Indian Cabbie Abused And Assaulted In Australia
- Rawal Wants Arundhati Roy Tied To Army Jeep Instead Of Stone-Pelters
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10