265 Former MPs Asked to Vacate Houses by June 18
To accommodate newly elected Members of Parliament, the Lok Sabha Secretariat has sent notices to about 265 former MPs asking them to vacate their houses by June 18.
Describing the exercise as "routine", Lok Sabha Secretary General P Sreedharan said, "The secretariat has informed all former MPs to vacate their houses by June 18. As far as former ministers are concerned the Directorate of Estate has asked them to hand over their bungalows by June 26."
There are over 300 new MPs, including newly appointed ministers, in the 16th Lok Sabha, who have to be provided accommodation in the national capital.
While the Directorate of Estate (DoE) is responsible for providing bungalows to ministers, the Lok Sabha Housing Committee will be allocating houses to new MPs.
The Lok Sabha Housing Committee will be constituted by the Speaker after the first session gets over on June 11.
While letters have been issued to about 265 former MPs by the Lok Sabha Secretariat asking them to vacate their houses by June 18, the DoE has sent notices to about 55 former ministers to hand over their bungalows by June 26.
"It is a challenging task. Once the houses are vacated, we will have to make them ready for the new MPs and ministers to occupy them," said a senior CPWD official, adding "the mandatory white washing and other repairs, if required, have to be carried out in these houses".
New MPs are staying in transit accommodation at the moment. They have been accommodated in over 200 rooms in state and Union Territory guest houses and over 150 rooms at Indian Tourism Development Corporation (ITDC) hotels in Delhi.
Urban Development Minister M Venkaiah Naidu has also appealed to the former ministers to vacate their official residence on their own and set a good example.
- Centre Applauds Army's Attack On Pakistan Posts
- ISIS Claims Responsibility For Manchester Blast That Killed 22
- James Bond Actor Roger Moore Dies At 89
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- 1984 Riots: Congress Leader Jagdish Tytler Refuses To Undergo Polygraph Test
- Bomb Scare Delays Movie Screening At Cannes
- Indian Railways' First Ever High-Speed Luxurious Train, Tejas Express, To Be Flagged Off Today
- Allegations Prove Others Are Scared of AAP's Anti-Corruption Campaign: Kejriwal
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10