25 in Indonesia Dead in Eid Boat Sinkings
At least 25 people in Indonesia, including six children, have died and 13 are missing in two separate boat sinkings, officials said today, as millions travel across the country for the Eid holiday season.
The week of Eid, which marks the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, is the busiest travel period of the year in the world's most-populous Muslim country, when most people abandon big cities and return to their hometowns to celebrate with family.
A boat carrying 48 people sank on a river on the island of Sumatra late yesterday after experiencing engine trouble, leaving six children and one adult dead, a local police said.
He added that police were scouring the river to find 13 still missing. A ferry carrying 70 people on a river in the Indonesian part of Borneo island sank on Tuesday, with the final death toll put at 18. The rest survived.
"By this morning, all 18 bodies had been recovered," the local head of search and rescue, Wasino, who goes by one name, told AFP.
The National Disaster Management Agency said police were questioning the ferry crew as there were reports that the ferry might have been operating at overcapacity.
- Outlook's Agony Aunt
- PM Modi Calls BSP 'Behenji Sampatti Party'
- India Was The World's Largest Arms Importer In The Past Five Years
- CBI Searches Former Chief A.P. Singh's Residence
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman
- In A First, CBI Carries Out Searches At Former Chief A.P. Singh's Residence
- After Contentious Trust-Vote, TN CM Palaniswami Announces Raft Of Populist Measures
- Bike Rider Dies After Being Kicked By Horse In Hyderabad
- Stockholm-Based Think-Tank Says India Was The World's Largest Arms Importer In The Past Five Years
- Government Sends Memorandum To KVIC Over Use Of PM Modi's Picture In Khadi Calendar
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED