22 Candidates File Nominations for Karnataka Bypolls
A total of 22 candidates have filed nominations for the August 21 by-elections to three assembly seats in Karnataka.
Four persons have filed their nominations for by-elections to Bellary, five for Chikkodi-Sadalga and 13 for Shikaripura, Chief Electoral Officer Anil Kumar Jha told PTI.
Today was the last day for the filing of nominations where by-elections are being held after sitting MLAs B S Yeddyurappa (Shikaripura), Prakash Hukkeri (Chikkodi-Sadalga) and B Sriramulu (Bellary) vacated them, consequent to their election to Lok Sabha.
In this by-election, straight contest is likely to be between BJP and ruling Congress as Janata Dal Secular has decided against fielding candidates citing funds crunch.
BJP has fielded B Y Raghavendra (Shikaripura), Mahantesh Kavatagimath (Chikkodi-Sadalga) and Oblesh (Bellary) as its candidates, while Congress has fielded Ganesh Prakash Hukkeri (Chikkodi-Sadalga), N Y Gopalakrishna (Bellary) and H S Shanthaveerappa Gowda (Shikaripura).
August 6 is the last date for withdrawal of candidature, and counting of votes will be on August 25.
The by-elections is tagged as another litmus test for Chief Minister Siddaramaiah and his government, after the unimpressive show of the ruling Congress in the Lok Sabha elections in which it could notch up only nine out of the 28 seats. BJP had won 17 seats and JDS two.
- Mumbai Is The Richest Indian City With Total Wealth Of USD 820 Billion
- Paytm Offers To Hire Employees Sacked By Rival Companies
- Kim Killing Suspect Thought She Was In A 'Comedy Video'
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Gujarat ATS Arrests Two ISIS Suspects From Rajkot And Bhavnagar
- Army Examination Cancelled At 6 Centres After Question Papers Leak
- Tight Security In Haryana As Jats Observe 'Black Day'
- Some Students 'Fantasise' About Breaking India Under The Guise Of Freedom Of Speech, Says Kiren Rijiju
- Public Sector Banks May Go On A Strike On Feb 28
- Shiv Sena Our 'True Well Wisher', Say Winner Muslim Candidates
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rahul Gandhi Says He Has Information Of PM Modi's Personal Corruption
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events
- Demonetisation Advisers Need Elementary Course In Economics Says Chidambaram
- 52 Killed, Over 100 Injured in Sufi Shrine Blast in Pak's Balochistan