22 Candidates File Nominations for Karnataka Bypolls
A total of 22 candidates have filed nominations for the August 21 by-elections to three assembly seats in Karnataka.
Four persons have filed their nominations for by-elections to Bellary, five for Chikkodi-Sadalga and 13 for Shikaripura, Chief Electoral Officer Anil Kumar Jha told PTI.
Today was the last day for the filing of nominations where by-elections are being held after sitting MLAs B S Yeddyurappa (Shikaripura), Prakash Hukkeri (Chikkodi-Sadalga) and B Sriramulu (Bellary) vacated them, consequent to their election to Lok Sabha.
In this by-election, straight contest is likely to be between BJP and ruling Congress as Janata Dal Secular has decided against fielding candidates citing funds crunch.
BJP has fielded B Y Raghavendra (Shikaripura), Mahantesh Kavatagimath (Chikkodi-Sadalga) and Oblesh (Bellary) as its candidates, while Congress has fielded Ganesh Prakash Hukkeri (Chikkodi-Sadalga), N Y Gopalakrishna (Bellary) and H S Shanthaveerappa Gowda (Shikaripura).
August 6 is the last date for withdrawal of candidature, and counting of votes will be on August 25.
The by-elections is tagged as another litmus test for Chief Minister Siddaramaiah and his government, after the unimpressive show of the ruling Congress in the Lok Sabha elections in which it could notch up only nine out of the 28 seats. BJP had won 17 seats and JDS two.
FROM OUTLOOKKashmir ElectionsKaran Singh's son who's made news by contesting the assembly polls on a National Conference (NC) ticket on...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionIs Akhilesh Yadav taking two steps forward and takmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESAt least 14 persons, including a photo journalist,more from WIRES>>>
- Ahead of Diwali, Govt Approves 2 Per Cent Hike in DA
- Need to Have a Relook on the Minority Tag Given to Muslims: Giriraj Singh
- Pakistan Condemns 'Manhandling' Of Staffer, Says Espionage Charges False
- No Regulation of Media in a Democracy: Venkaiah Naidu
- Pak High Commission Staffer Asked to Leave India Within 48 Hrs
- SC Defers Hearing of Election Petition Against Sonia Gandhi
- Watch: Donald Trump Pulls Out All The Stops With 'Ab Ki Baar, Trump Sarkar'
- Daily Curator: What Happens In Family May Not Stay So
- Neeraj Pandey's Ouch Takes on the Complexities of a Relationship
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Libya's Navy Says 90 Migrants Perished After Boat Fell Apart
- Ready to Sacrifice Myself for the Party: Amar Singh
- Neither Bua Nor Bhatija Can Improve Law and Order in UP: Amit Shah
- Pak Not to Attend Asian Ministerial Conference on Disaster
- Twitter to Cut 9 Per Cent of Staff, Plots New Growth Strategy
- Ceasefire Violations, If Continues, Will Not Go Unpunished: Sharif Warns India
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED