20 Lakh Voters Enrolled in Maharashtra: EC
The Election Commission has enrolled more than 20 lakh voters in Maharashtra in an elaborate drive to facilitate participation of citizens in the poll process, after reports said that names of thousands of electors were deleted from the voters' list.
The poll panel took serious note of the reports during the Lok Sabha elections about the deletion of names and extensive measures to maximise voter registration in the state.
"After taking note of news reports that some names were missing from voter lists in Mumbai and Pune during the recent Lok Sabha elections, the Commission has taken extensive measures to enroll citizens of the state," the Election Commission said here in a statement.
In an unprecedented move, the Commission sent over 26 lakhs letters along with enrollment forms to all such persons whose names were deleted in Mumbai, Thane and Pune.
"4.5 lakh of these speed posts were delivered and the rest have returned undelivered as the address was incorrect or the addressee had left," the panel said.
As a result of such massive efforts, around 20.3 lakh electors were enrolled during the Special Summary Revision in Maharashtra, including 1.94 lakh in Mumbai and 2.66 lakh in Pune, it said.
"Out of these, only 16,614 cases in Mumbai and 27,542 cases in Pune relate to those whose names were deleted earlier," it said.
The final roll has been put up on the website of Chief Electoral Officers and Returning Officers, it said.
Assembly elections in Maharashtra and Haryana are likely to be held in October.
The Election Commission said it took up a series of proactive measures to reach out to citizens under its flagship programme for Systematic Voters' Education and Electoral Participation.
"In case any eligible citizen is still not enrolled they can include their name up to ten days before the last date of nomination of candidates for the forthcoming state elections," the Commission said.
- Tardy Reaction To Molestation Of A Ladkhi Girl Opens Wounds Of Government Apathy To The Region
- No Security Stamps In These 7 Airports Anymore
- Kerala To Launch First Sex Offenders Registry
- Gujarat To Ban Hookah Bars
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Government To Launch 'Twitter Seva' To Address Public Grievances
- Gujarat Assembly Passes Bill To Impose Complete Ban On Hookah Bars
- Over 61 % Voting in Phase-IV Of UP Assembly Polls
- Vyapam: No CBI Probe Into Madhya Pradesh Pre-Engineering Test
- No Need To Get Security Stamp On Hand Baggages Anymore In These 7 Airports
- Govt Ropes In Shilpa Shetty As Swachh Bharat Brand Ambassador
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman