167 MNC Workers Get Bail
Madras High Court on August 22 granted bail to 167 workers of a multinational company, arrested and lodged in prison for staging an agitation against their firm in Kancheepuram, saying they cannot be treated like hardened criminals and such matters cannot be solved by use of police force.
"They cannot be treated as hardened criminals and these matters cannot be solved by use of police force. They did not possess any lethal weapon. Police or public or officials are not their enemies. They have their grievance with their management," Justice P Devadass said while granting them bail.
The judge pulled up labour leaders, saying they must be responsible for this unsavoury incident.
"The workers are dumb, driven cattle. The leaders must be responsive and they must lead the workers on proper path to achieve the object in a democratic way."
The workers had gone on an agitation on August 15, 2014 in connection with certain issues relating to their employment.
While granting bail, the judge directed the workers to furnish their own bail bonds for a sum of Rs 5,000 each to the satisfaction of Superintendent, Central Prison, Vellore and to report before police at Kancheepuram as and when required for questioning.
FROM OUTLOOKCover StoryThe abdication of responsibility by Parliament and the executive has forced a burst of judicial activism—on issues as...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBReportageThe Lodha Committee seems in no mood to extend themore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESAllahabad, July 23 (PTI) The Central Administrativmore from WIRES>>>
- SC Cancels RJD Leader Shahabuddin's Bail, Sends Him Back to Jail
- Surgical Strikes by India in PoK an Act of Self Defence: Afghanistan
- Bihar Liquor Prohibition Law Illegal, Rules Patna High Court
- All Attempts to Secure Release of Indian Soldier: Rajnath
- Park Street Gangrape: Prime Accused Kader Khan Arrested
- Train Crashes Into New Jersey Station, One Dead, 114 Injured
- Denzel Washington's 'FENCES' Trailer Promises Oscar Contenders
- Roasted For Being Dark, Parched Actor Tannishtha Chatterjee Gets Apology
- Karachi's Stand-Up Comedian Has His Reasons Why India And Pakistan Should Not Go To War
- Prabhu Deva Does A Gandi Baat Jig With Father
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Pakistan Chief Justice Anwar Zaheer Cancels Visit to India Due to Tension
- 'World Moves Towards Enforcing Paris Pact With India's Action'
- Rajnath Singh Reviews Security Situation Along Indo-Pak Border
- Presidential Debate Was Rigged: Trump
- Narendra Modi's Surgical Strike Wins Over Rahul Gandhi
- Nawaz Sharif Calls Special Cabinet Meeting Post Surgical Strikes
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED