167 MNC Workers Get Bail
Madras High Court on August 22 granted bail to 167 workers of a multinational company, arrested and lodged in prison for staging an agitation against their firm in Kancheepuram, saying they cannot be treated like hardened criminals and such matters cannot be solved by use of police force.
"They cannot be treated as hardened criminals and these matters cannot be solved by use of police force. They did not possess any lethal weapon. Police or public or officials are not their enemies. They have their grievance with their management," Justice P Devadass said while granting them bail.
The judge pulled up labour leaders, saying they must be responsible for this unsavoury incident.
"The workers are dumb, driven cattle. The leaders must be responsive and they must lead the workers on proper path to achieve the object in a democratic way."
The workers had gone on an agitation on August 15, 2014 in connection with certain issues relating to their employment.
While granting bail, the judge directed the workers to furnish their own bail bonds for a sum of Rs 5,000 each to the satisfaction of Superintendent, Central Prison, Vellore and to report before police at Kancheepuram as and when required for questioning.
FROM OUTLOOKCover StoryThe abdication of responsibility by Parliament and the executive has forced a burst of judicial activism—on issues as...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionScandalous, irresponsible and impervious to publicmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESAllahabad, July 23 (PTI) The Central Administrativmore from WIRES>>>
- 'One Nation One Tax' to Eliminate Corruption: Jaitley on GST
- Bangladeshi-Canadian Named as Dhaka Cafe Attack Mastermind
- Assam Flood Situation 'Grave And Challenging': Rajnath
- Karnataka CM's Son Dies of Pancreatitis in Belgium
- Clashes in Kashmir, Curfew Lifted in Many Areas
- Kashmir: Army Foils Infiltration Bid, Two Militants, Two Soldiers Killed
- Outlook Cover Story On RSS Trafficking Goes Viral
- Nike's Deepika Video Gets Rural India's YouTube Reply
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Army Takes Possession of Adarsh Building
- Angul SP Injured in Clash Between BJD, BJP in Odisha
- Terrorists Like Burhan Wani Don't Deserve Second Chance: Deputy CM
- West Indies Reach 88 for 4 at Lunch vs India on Day 1
- 16 Killed in Texas Hot Air Balloon Crash
- Court Convicts Film Director Farooqui of Raping US Researcher
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED