16 Militants Killed in Egypt's North Sinai
Sixteen militants were killed and 94 others arrested in recent raids by the Egyptian army in the North Sinai province, the military has said.
The army destroyed 6 tunnels, 20 vehicles and 55 motorcycles used by militants in attacks targeting police and army, military spokesperson Brigadier General Mohamed Samir said in a statement yesterday.
The military raids targeted terrorist-infested areas during the period between August 30 to September 3 in the Egyptian governorates of Ismailia, Sharqeya, Kar El-Shiekh, Alexandria and cities in North Sinai, the statement added.
On Wednesday, the Sinai-based militant group Ansar Bayt Al-Maqdis claimed responsibility for killing 11 policemen, including a police officer.
Eleven Egyptian policemen were killed on Tuesday and four others injured when a bomb blast struck their vehicle in North Sinai's Sheikh Zuwayed.
A video posted online by the militant group, showed an armoured vehicle being bombed as a voice in the background cheers and vows for victory.
North Sinai has witnessed many violent attacks by Islamist militants since the January 2011 revolution that toppled ex-president Hosni Mubarak.
Islamist militant attacks targeting police and military increased after the ouster of president Mohammed Morsi last year.
Many policemen and soldiers have been killed in the attacks which included bombings and shootings.
The military has launched security campaigns in the area, arrested suspects and demolished houses that belong to terrorists, including those facilitating tunnels leading to the Gaza Strip.
- Outlook's Agony Aunt
- 2 Indians Die Every Minute Due to Air Pollution: Study
- Soon, Passport Can Be Applied At Post Offices
- NGT Slaps Rs 10Lakh Fine On Noida-Based Water Bottling Unit
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Jet Airways Restores Contact With ATC After German Authorites Send Fighter Jets for Fear Of Hijack
- 61.16 Per Cent Turnout in UP Phase-3: Polling Peaceful
- People Will Take Revenge on BJP For Note Ban: Rahul, Akhilesh
- Ravi Shankar Prasad Dares Congress, SP, BSP to Clarify Stand on Triple Talaq
- UP Polls: Over 55 Per Cent Turnout Till 4 PM
- Mulayam Clarifies No Rift In SP, Confident Akhilesh Will Be CM
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Watch: Delhi College Guard Brutally Beats Street Dog To Death, Case Registered After Video Goes Viral
- Modi Promised 'Acche Din' Like SRK In DDLJ, Ended Up Being Sholay's Gabbar, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Pakistan Senate Passes Landmark Hindu Marriage Bill
- Bangladesh Bans Irrfan Khan Starrer Biopic No Bed of Roses