14 Aircraft Grounded in 2014 After DGCA Surprise Checks
A total of 14 aircraft have been grounded by the Directorate General of Civil Aviation this year following surprise checks conducted as part of its oversight activity to ensure strict compliance of safety regulations.
Civil Aviation Minister Ashok Gajapathi Raju Pusapati said in Lok Sabha that the aircraft were grounded after DGCA conducted 55 surprise special surveillance drive till June.
"Safety is a prime concern. There is no compromise on safety and we are second to none in the world in the matter of aircraft security," he said during Question Hour.
DGCA carries out surprise checks to ensure strict compliance of safety regulations in aircraft. The Civil Aviation Minister said 2,394 surveillance audits and 20 regulatory audits have been planned under annual surveillance programme during 2014.
Interestingly, no aircraft was grounded between 2011 and 2013 despite 820 surprise checks of aircraft.
The Minister said a total of 277 foreign pilots are currently working in different aviation companies, including 121 in Jet Airways -- the highest among all airlines.
Replying to a supplementary, the Minister said government is making every effort to increase connectivity in all parts of the country.
FROM OUTLOOKAviationThe skies turn friendlier as foreign airlines wake up to the potential of the Indian business traveller...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBLondon DiaryThis time it has nothing to do with the Hinkley numore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESFarnborough (UK), Jul 23 (PTI) Keeping in view themore from WIRES>>>
- No Explanation, No Opportunity to Defend Myself, Says Mistry in an Explosive Mail to Board Members
- Modi-Key Talks: NZ Assures 'Constructive' Approach on NSG Bid
- Akhilesh Briefs Governor Ram Naik on Political Situation in UP
- Former Karnataka CM B.S. Yeddyurappa Acquitted of Corruption Charges
- Manipuri Student's Body Found in JNU Hostel Room
- Paul Beatty Becomes the First American to Win Booker Prize
- Neeraj Pandey's Ouch Takes on the Complexities of a Relationship
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Police Registers Assault Case Against AAP MLA Amantullah Khan
- PM Asks Officials to Analyze World Bank Report Which Ranked India 130th
- Cabinet May Consider Advancing Budget to Feb 1
- UNESCO Approves Resolution on Jerusalem That Israel Says Denies Judaism's Ties to Temple Mount
- 26/11: India Not Responding to Pak Request to Send Witnesses, Says Prosecution
- Pak Lawmakers Slam Cricketers for Doing Push-Ups After Match Win Instead of Praying
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED