12 Pilgrims Killed in Road Accident in Bihar
At least 12 pilgrims, five of them women, were killed and 22 others injured when a speeding container ran over them on the New Delhi-Kolkata National Highway in Bihar's Aurangabad district early today.
The heavy vehicle lost control and ran over the devotees sleeping by the side of the road, Superintendent of Police Upendra Kumar Sharma said.
After running over the victims, it hit a parked bus in which some other devotees were resting, the SP said, adding 12 devotees in all were killed in the mishap.
The pilgrims were resting after returning from Deogarh temple in Jharkhand.
The mishap took place under Muffasil police station area, 10 kilometres from Aurangabad town and about 160 kilometres from capital Patna.
The injured have been admitted to Sadar Hospital here with some of the seriously injured rushed to Magadh Medical College and Hospital in Gaya.
The victims were returning home to Dehri sub-division of Rohtas district from Deogarh after offering prayers to Lord Shiva when the tragedy took place.
Former Independent MLA of Dehri, Pradeep Joshi organises trips to Deogarh for devotees every year during the month of 'Shravan'.
His wife Rashmi Jyoti is the current Independent MLA from there.
- Stone-Pelters Should Fire Weapons, Then I Could Do What I Want: Rawat
- Impose Governor's Rule If J&K Is To Be Saved: Farooq Abdullah
- Narada Journalists Threaten Hunger Strike Over Dues
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10