10 Dead in Boko Haram Attacks in Nigeria: Witnesses
Suspected Boko Haram gunmen killed 10 people who had fled their homes to escape repeated attacks by the insurgents, after hunting them down in a nearby village, witnesses said today.
Residents of Krenuwa village fled to nearby communities after a Boko Haram raid last month that left seven dead and saw the extremists raze a military camp, police station and several homes.
About a dozen militants stormed the villages of Durwa and Maforo in the Marte district yesterday, where some of them were seeking refuge.
"They came on motorcycles and gathered people before singling out their victims who moved in from Krenuwa after it was attacked", said Usman Ari, a Durwa resident.
"They shot six of them dead and slaughtered four," said Ari, who fled to the Borno state capital, Maiduguri, some 100 kilometres away after the attack.
After the attack in Durwa, where six were killed, the suspected Boko Haram gunmen stormed nearby Maforo and killed four, said Hassan Goni, another Durwa resident, who also fled to Maiduguri.
"We are afraid they are going to come back for more attacks which is why we left," he added.
After the attack on Krenuwa village, a counter-offensive by soldiers killed five insurgents and captured five more.
Krenuwa resident Abba Kolomi said Boko Haram had also killed six people from the village who sought refuge across the border in Chad.
The Marte district was one of the areas where Boko Haram chased out the government last year, forcing President Goodluck Jonathan to declare a state of emergency in the region and a military offensive to crush the uprising.
A scorched-earth military response reclaimed the territory but deadly Boko Haram raids on towns and villages in the area have continued unabated.
FROM OUTLOOKterrorismNot a Pak-Afghan-bred radical, the new Islamic warrior could be a regular American guy, swayed by Al Qaeda,...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionThe second half of the month of Ramzan witnessed amore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESIn a major clampdown on Islamic radical groups, jumore from WIRES>>>
- My Party and My Family Are United: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Tata-Mistry Tussle Heads to the Courts As Tatas File Caveats in SC, HC, NCLT
- Yashwant Sinha Led Delegation Meets Hurriyat Leader Geelani to Break Kashmir Impasse
- Six Members of a Family Injured in Pak Shelling in Jammu
- SC Directs Vijay Mallya to Disclose His Foreign Assets in Four Weeks
- Delhi: One Person Killed In Blast At Naya Bazar, Rajnath Calls Delhi CP
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- E-Ballot Facility for Service Voters Gets Govt Nod: CEC
- Snatch Tribal Rights, Face Action, Warns PM
- 300-Year-Old British Coin, One of Only 20 Ever Minted, Found in 4-Year-Old's Treasure Chest
- Muslim Community Must Seriously Ponder Over Triple Talaq: RSS
- Rename HRD Ministry as Education Ministry: Sisodia to Javadekar
- Saudi Man Dumps Bride for Sharing Pictures on Snapchat Just 2 Hrs After Wedding
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman Of Tata Sons, Ratan Tata To Hold Interim Position
- Ratan Tata: 'I Think Everybody Knows Where The Intolerance Is Coming From...'
- Now, Adult Film Star Accuses Trump of Sexual Harassment
- Not Just a Business Partner, But an Ally Who Stood By India in its Darkest Hours: Russia