As hopes of finding more survivors are receding, rescuers dug out 29 more bodies since last night as the toll in the Malin landslide disaster rose to 70 late Friday evening.
Over 100 people were still feared trapped under the debris of the landslide that flattened 44 houses in the village located in a hilly terrain in Ambegaon taluka on Wednesday.
NDRF personnel, whose relentless rescue efforts entered the third day today, wore masks to keep out stench of the decomposed bodies.
The dead victims whose bodies have been extricated so far include 28 males, 32 females and 10 children, the district control room set up to monitor the situation said.
Mass cremations were being performed by relatives who reached the village.
Maharashtra government has announced assistance of Rs five lakh each to families of the victims.
The state relief and rehabilitation minister Patangrao Kadam told reporters that the rescue operation was expected to continue for another two days.
A lull in the rains this morning enabled NDRF jawans to clear the mud faster using JCBs and dumpers, he added.
Meanwhile, Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan today announced a financial aid of Rs five lakh to the next of kin of each of the victims.
Officials in the Chief Minister's office said the assistance would be provided from the CM Relief fund.
Free medical treatment will be given to the injured and proper rehabilitation of the village will be done on priority, they said.
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh had yesterday visited Malin village, the scene of the tragedy over 100 kms from here, and announced an assistance of Rs two lakh to the next of kin of each of the deceased from the PM Relief Fund.
Mass cremation of several victims was conducted at the site by grieving relatives yesterday.